Thursday, March 25, 2010

Give Me a P!



What is it like to be a parent? What do you do all day? Well, let me give you an example. I'm nursing a baby, wiping off the kitchen counter and talking on the phone to someone who wants a violin when Xanthe's friend comes upstairs in a ballet costume and reports that Xanthe peed in a laundry basket in her room. What?

Trying to remain calm, I go downstairs to investigate. I sit on the bed so I will appear less tall and menacing, because I feel really menacing. Here's how that went:

"Xanthe, where are you?"
Xanthe comes out from under the bed, wearing a tutu and three shirts.
"Xanthe, did you pee in your room?"
"Yes."
"Why did you do that?"
"BeCAUSE!"
"Where?"
"You're sitting on it."

Uh-huh. Now I notice that my pants feel wet and there is a big yellow puddle on the bedspread exactly where I'm sitting. Apparently, a laundry basket perched on top of a bed seemed like a fine place to go to the bathroom. It's efficient, I'll give her that. No need to go all the way upstairs. I can't help but wonder if she bothered to take off all the costumes she's wearing before she went, but honestly, I don't have the strength to check just yet.

Now my pants and all of Xanthe's bedding are in the washer. That's what it's like to be a parent at this exact moment. If it sounds too good to be true, just wait. Something bad is bound to happen. (Yes, it can get worse!) This incident caused me to have the Facts of Life theme song running through my head all afternoon. "You take the good, you take the bad, you take it all and there you have the facts of life...the facts of life!" The bad? Sitting in a puddle of urine. The good? I am happy with the way I reacted. The facts of life? This, or a variation of this, will happen again. And I'm OK with that. I'll take it all. The whole alphabet. Even the P.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing that you remained so calm! This is really funny to read but probably not as funny to experience. You are a great mom.

Lexie said...

AWESOME!!!

Jennie said...

Oh! I love it! I had the exact same thoughts today as I was SCRUBBING PURPLE CRAYON off of my WHITE COUCH! My little artist Izzy struck again.

Can we all say it together.... WE ONLY COLOR ON PAPER!

Michelle said...

Yep, you should be happy with how you reacted. I remember the day Matthew was being punished by being in my room where there were not toys so he peed in Wm shoe because he was mad at me. Good times.

laurel said...

Haa haa ha haa haa. Sorry. I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you! I think we have all been there in one form or another. It is just so nice to know we are not alone.

love.boxes said...

Sadly.. that kind of stuff used to bother me so much more with c.. and then she grew up so fast and now I just think.. you know I have to enjoy this.. it's going to be over so quickly.
Last week baby l had the worst sort of messy incident.. too gross to give details, but I ended up washing all my clothes, all hers and cleaning the entire bathroom.. the heavy duty clean. I was amazed at how little upset I was. .. It must be love.

Emily said...

so funny, nice reaction. i think i would have sworn.