Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Post Script






Yes, I'm back from the pit of despair that was yesterday. Just to clarify, my feelings weren't the result of anything anybody said to me. Rather, they were indicative of how one (me) might feel on an insecure day, and how things might sound or feel. So no worries there!

Thank heavens I have good friends to remind me that all is well. Thanks for all the supportive comments! As I was lying on my bed yesterday wishing that I had something really big and chocolatey to eat, Jennie rang the doorbell and handed me a big box of donuts. Heaven! Later, Michelle delivered a wonderful scarf to me at ballet and Jennifer brought a bottle of sparkling apple juice to her violin lesson. Now I'm embarrassed at how spoiled I am! You're all too kind...and I'm glad! :)

Trajan called to see if I was any better yesterday afternoon. I said, "Let me put it this way. Xanthe just gave Esmae a haircut." (Kid with scissors=bad mom, right?)

So, while conditions didn't necessarily improve, my outlook did, between your support and 12 chocolate donuts! Also, Ruby crossed a major hurdle. She went in to Dr. Scheuller and had the scar tissue from last year's ordeal removed. Scott volunteered to take her so she wouldn't blame me for the pain! Mike, of course, did a fabulous job not only of sewing Ruby up, but making sure Scott didn't pass out during the procedure. Five shots in the neck and fifteen stitches later, Ruby was home from Mike's office with instructions from the doc to skip ballet and practicing for the day. Scott was exhausted from the trauma and fell asleep!

To top off a gloomy day that ended in victory and a little sunshine, Xanthe was finally presented with her Twinkle Trophy! The trophy shop wasn't quite as on-the-ball as Xanthe, and she had to wait a few weeks, but it was worth the wait to hold that shiny reward. If all rewards were as tangible and impressive as the Twinkle Trophy, maybe I wouldn't have been so depressed about yesterday. I'm going to make a sticker chart for mothering. If you come over and see a shiny trophy labeled "100 Instances of Positive Parenting," you'll know I've racked up a small victory!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing even your less than shining moments. They make the rest of us feel like maybe we are normal too. In fact if you left out yesterday's post I wouldn't love your blog nearly as much. It is so tempting to just try and convince everyone that we are "fine" all the time but so much more compassionate to share our not so great days. And hey, Lunch tomorrow!

Jennie said...

Oooooo! I am loving the sticker chart idea. :) You can work towards the things you want. For me, it would be a pedi and new clothes. I can go buy those anytime I want, but I always feel the guilt for spending money. With a chart... no guilt. I earned it baby!

I'm glad you found your smile again. Not to sound totally cheesy, but just knowing yours was missing made my day a little dark. No pressure, but if you think you are not cutting it as a mother, think how the rest of us feel. :) We must totally suck. :)

Oh, and I had another motive for the doughnuts beside making you smile. You are looking all too thin lately. I need to fatten you up. :)

The homestead said...

You are so great Circe. Your equation is incorrect though- kid with scissors = reality.

Emily said...

Es did need a haircut, Xanthe was probably just being proactive :)! No worries you can hardly tell....!