Monday, December 6, 2010

Favorites

 Here's a quick list of some favorite Christmas tunes.  I've always been in love with Pavarotti.  We get used to mediocrity in our daily lives, and think that whatever Disney tells us to listen to is good quality.  But then you hear a voice like Luciano's, so rich, full and effortless, with that certain je ne sais quoi, and you remember what it's like to be uplifted by music.  Same with the Vienna Boys' Choir...pure, clear, innocent.  And how about a real, first-rate orchestra playing Sleighride without any sound effects?  And a classic Nat King Cole version of The Christmas Song.  And Rudolph so I can always have it handy for Xanthe!  These are my faves today.  How about you?  What are your favorite renditions of the classics?

Pavarotti O Holy Night

 Vienna Boys' Choir and Pavarotti Gesu Bambino

Sleighride Boston Pops

Nat King Cole Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

2 comments:

sws said...

gorgeous selections. Pavrotti always reminds me of your family. Beautiful. The Christmas Music is one of my favorite parts of the season. I did love "O Come all Ye Faithful" from the First Presidency Devotional last night, but wasn't tech savvy enough to include the link. Lds.org. Great list.

Nate said...

I love your list. Pavarotti has a voice that transcends reality! I love The Messiah sung by any choir with a modicum of talent:)