Saturday, December 11, 2010

Stealing Christmas

OK, I'm back to my insanely festive self.  The smoke alarm malaise only lasted until my first sip of foamy cocoa with almond extract.  I confess, I've been stealing some Christmas lately.  Sometimes you have to just take a Christmas moment, or they won't happen.  After I dropped off Ari at her cello lesson yesterday, I stayed in the warm car and read Christmas stories.  All the books I've read lately - or maybe just Kristin Lavransdatter and Matchless- take place in Scandinavia.  Makes me wish for a serious blizzard so I could wear those thick sweaters with the pewter buckles and ski from place to place instead of driving!

For the second half of the cello lesson, I slipped inside and listened to Ari and her teacher play Christmas songs together.  The aura of the holidays made those few minutes seem like a luxury, complete with an imaginary crackling fire and fresh alpine scent.  Christmas cello duets!  What fun!  Christmas isn't going to come to you.  You have to steal it.  Grab those mundane, everyday moments and demand Christmas from them.  I bet you won't be disappointed.  Here, here's some Christmas cheer right here, courtesy of Araceli.  BTW, at the end she says, "Now I have to go brush my hair."  So true, and fun, too, with the jingle bell hair clips Aunt Jenny made.  Thanks for helping us grab some Christmas cheer, Jen!

3 comments:

Nate said...

Thank you Ari for Christmas cheer. So right, Circe, you have to stop and purposely take the moment or they disappear in the frantic pace of the season:)

Michelle said...

I agree! Last night's party was definitely worth stealing! Loved every minute with you guys!

laurel said...

Yesterday was the first day I felt Christmas! Glad you are enjoying the moments!