Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Most Real Things

The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor grown-ups can see.
                                                                    -Francis P. Church, New York Sun

While Freestone's dream came true Christmas morning when Santa did, indeed, haul a treadmill all the way from the North Pole, Araceli's experience was more subdued.  Santa didn't bring her the Utah Utes sweatshirt that she hoped for, and he forgot that she still likes baby dolls, even though she packed all of hers away recently.  She stood quietly Christmas morning, a lone island in the swirl of excitement, and said softly to herself, "I think I'm too old to believe in Santa Claus."  I could almost feel my heart tearing in half and despair gushing out.  At that moment, I would have done anything to banish her disbelief.

Later, when things were quiet, Araceli asked me for the truth about Santa.  I told her that I was just about her age when I had to decide for myself if I was going to believe in Santa Claus.  I said that I had decided I was going to believe in him forever and ever, and I still do.  That miracles happen when you believe and that I love the magic of Christmas.  That's the truth.  Ari was pleased with our talk, and happy about the gifts Santa brought.  She and I thought that maybe Santa got the idea that she wanted to be more like the big girls and that's why he didn't bring a baby doll.  And maybe he didn't get the message about the sweatshirt.  But Christmas is about a child's dreams coming true, and Scott and I were crushed that Ari's expectations hadn't been met at such a crucial moment in her childhood.

On Sunday, Ari and I stayed home from church.  I was reading in bed and Ari was walking on the treadmill in the basement when I thought I heard a noise on the roof.  When Ari came upstairs and went into her room, there was a brand new Utes sweatshirt on her bed!  It had a note with it that said, "When you believe, dreams come true!  Love, Santa"  We don't know how Santa did it, but he did.

Coco took Ari to the store and helped her choose a baby doll today.  When she came home wearing her new sweatshirt and lovingly cradling her baby doll, I felt like something had been restored this Christmas.  Ari's heart is full of magic now that the world will never take away, because Ari chose for herself to keep the magic and never let it go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story of Ari and of the talk you and Ari had.."Yes, Ari, there really is a Santa Claus!" We are never too old to believe in the magic and beauty of Christmas and like a plaque you gave me a couple of years ago says, "Believe". We must always continue to believe in the magic of Christmas and what it can accomplish in our hearts if only we do believe. We must always believe in miracles, and Ari receiving her "Ute" sweatshirt proves it if we believe hard enough miracles do happen. I am glad your Christmas is now complete Ari, you are a sweet, young beautiful girl. Thank you for the painting you did for me!..Love, Tricia XOXO P.S. Sorry you are sick Circe and Xanthe~...

Jennifer said...

This is incredibly sweet.

How do you manage to live so amazingly, and then write about it, too?

The homestead said...

I hope at our house we always believe in the spirit of Santa Claus.

Nate said...

I love your answer to Ari. It is a choice to keep believing in the magic of Santa. So glad he pulled through for Ari:)

laurel said...

Cute. She seems like such a sweet girl. I don't know about that famiy you asked me about. I think the Brown's knew them. I hope they got their baby,that was so long ago!