Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Light Up My Life


 This is what fear looks like.  We have never had Christmas lights on our house because Scott and I are both afraid of heights.  I once got up on a ladder to prove to Scott how easy it was to clean out our rain gutters when he claimed he was too scared do it.  I got stuck on the ladder, petrified with fear.  Literally could not move.  I thought the fire department was going to have to come and carry me down.  I really did.

But I hate not having Christmas lights, and so do the kids, so Freestone and I came up with a plan.  We went to the hardware store and looked at ALL the lights.  Freestone has to consider all his options before making a decision, so we decided we would come back the next day while Daddy was at the Utah-BYU game and get the lights.  When Daddy came home, he would be surprised!  Freestone loved that idea and kept it a secret while we waited until the designated time to put our plan into action.  Putting the lights up was easy, except that I was dizzy from all the adrenaline coursing through my body.  I had my doubts about whether the four kids holding the extension ladder were doing any good.  I had visions of the ladder tipping over, taking out several kids and throwing me into a tree, breaking both my legs.  "Surprise, Scott!  Most of our kids have broken bones, and so do I!  Just come pick us up at the ER after the game.  Oh, and there's a string of Christmas lights hanging from the garage."

After the highest point on the garage, I felt better.  I even let Ruby get up on the ladder and string some of the lights.  Gradually, giddy exuberance took the place of primal fear and I could not wait to see our house all lit up for the first time.  After the obligatory trip to the hardware store for another strand of lights, the job was done! I have to say, it was much easier than I thought. 
The best part was waiting for Scott's reaction.  He reacted exactly the way I predicted he would.  His first thought was, "What?? Circe paid someone to put up lights?"  It only took three seconds of all the kids simultaneously screaming the story for him to get it straight.  He loved it!  The lights definitely light up my heart every time I drive home, and I'm not the only one.  Freestone has bragged to several people, "We have Christmas lights on the outside of our house.  Yeah, it's our family's first time having Christmas lights.  On the outside of our house."  As much as I adore the lights, it's Freestone's happy satisfaction that really lights up my life.

7 comments:

The homestead said...

We have a pitch over the garage that ladders won't reach so we hire our contractor friend to do it, I consider it cheaper than having a husband on disability. I'm so proud of you and the kids. Your house looks great!

Nate said...

The lights look great! Congratulations on mastering the heights to put them up:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being brave enough to hang Christmas lights. You all did a wonderful job and the lights look gorgeous!..Proud of you!..conquering heights I understand, being afraid of heights myself, so hats off to you Circe. Nothing quite like having Christmas lights twinkling at you as you drive down your street and into your driveway. It was always dad's tradition to put his Christmas lights up on Thanksgiving weekend, even if it meant freezing weather!.I am sure you will all enjoy starting this tradition.I have hung some on my balcony, with Alex's and Lincoln's help. I love your pictures..XO Tricia

Jennie said...

You are the man!!! - I mean woman!!! Well done! That is a scary job. I just whine and whine until Ryan gets ours up. I always loved homes with lights when I was a kid. I thought anyone who had lights must be RICH! :) Can't wait to see your RICH house when I drop G off from ballet - oh wait, Ryan will drop her off. I'll have to do a drive by on my way home from RS. :)

Kristi said...

Wow! I love it and I am so impressed that YOU hung them. The first year in our new house Jason hung our lights, and vowed he would never do it again. The roof pitch is too high for a ladder in several spots, so he had to crawl around the roof to hang them. He was terrified the entire time. The next year I called to get an estimate to have them professionally hung, and about DIED. The bid was over $400.00! Anyway, we had a friend hang them for a few years for a mere hundred bucks, and this year my brother did them for that same price. phew.

Michelle said...

Oh man! When my kids find out you did this I am never going to hear the end of it! they think we are the original Mr. and Mrs. Grinch because neither one of us wants to put them up!

The Brown Family said...

You are so awesome! I never would brave the ladder.

We were the ones surprised this year with our lights :)

Kim