Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday Hangover

It's not fair that I have a holiday hangover and I don't really even drink.  I'm having withdrawals, too, from all the goodie plates we used to find on our doorstep.  And I think I have a touch of SOD.  (School's Out Depression)  My kids are having to forage for real food to eat and there ain't none because I have the Dreaded Flu.  On the plus side, I've read 3 books since Sunday and I got to stay home from church almost all alone.  On the downside, Xanthe is sick too, and she's not the kind of sick where the kid sleeps for two days in a drug-induced land of crazy dreams.  No, Xanthe has just enough strength to grill me continuously in the softest, scratchiest possible voice about why there is no ballet this week and how it could have possibly been Esmae's birthday if there was no party and when the party will be and maybe Esmae had a party without her and maybe we missed ballet and will she have to go to the doctor and will he give her shots.  If I leave her side, she bleats at me until I come back.  "Moooooom!  Moooooom!"  She also claimed I gave her too much medicine.  She said her legs hurt when she blinked and asked why the chair in my room was so much smaller than it was yesterday.  Oops, maybe I did give her too much medicine.  Is that why she looks so goofy?  Then why won't she rest!?!?

I am getting my 2011 calendar out right now and writing on December 26, "You and the rest of the family will get sick."  It's true.  And it's because Christmas is over and there's nothing to do but incubate the germs you collected at all those holiday parties.  At least next year, I'll be ready for it.  I'll have a big stack of books, milk and cereal for the kids and some stronger medicine ready for Xanthe.  Medicine that makes her veeeeeeeeeery sleepy and much less curious.  Is there such a thing?

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh no, I'm sorry you are sick! Better now than the week BEFORE Christmas. As always Xanthe makes me laugh. She also makes me a bit tired. :S

Taylor Family said...

We have the flu too. I had planned on doing lots of fun things this week. When we get better I would love to have your kids come and play.