Sunday, December 12, 2010

Nativity v. Sweet Pork

 (This innkeeper had a ballet bun underneath her head scarf.)


Araceli's class in church was assigned to act out the nativity at the church Christmas party.  She was "Innkeeper #3" AND "Shepherd #2."  Ari kept emphasizing that she had TWO parts, which involved a "quick-change" backstage and lots of mental and physical preparation.  Innkeeper #3/Shepherd #2 was essentially the glue of the whole production. 

On the eve of the party, Ari badgered me to take her to the church early so she could prepare.  In the car on the way to the church, I said to Ari, "You'll have to video the play so I can see it later!"  I heard a stifled screech from the back seat, one of those high-pitched "Whaaaaaaaaaaat??" sounds.  I explained that I had my friends' Christmas party to go to, which is one of my favorite nights of the year.  Ari's face crumpled and she said, "This is making me sad!"  Heaving sobs ensued.  I was willing to be the kind of bad parent kids talk about in therapy rather than miss the friend party.  I would have called in a bomb threat to the church if I had to, but first I tried a less prosecutable approach to placating Ari.  Her tragic little face was killing me!  I made a big deal of walking "backstage" with her and taking pictures of her on the "set."  We went over her "quick-change," which consisted of grabbing a shepherd's staff and slinging a sheepskin over her shoulder, and we put the camera in a safe spot where Scott could find it when he got there with the rest of the kids.  I emphasized how brave she was to do this by herself.  By the time I left for my evening, Ari was struggling to eke out a few fake tears at my departure.  She was over it, and looking forward to the rest of the world seeing her performance.
I did watch the video when I got home that night, and it was darling. There wasn't even a trace of a tear on Innkeeper #3/Shepherd #2's face.  Scott and I "divide and conquer" a lot.  This time the division was slightly unfair;  Scott got to take all six kids to a ward party and I got to spend five glorious hours with my oldest friends, dining on sweet pork salad and coming home with major swag.  Thanks for being on Nativity Duty, Scott.  You could almost pull off the whole nativity yourself.  You're a father, a shepherd of your little ones, a wise man and occasionally, an ass.  Ha ha!  Love you!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks Scott! Circe's attendance was so necessary to the happiness of the rest of us! It was a fabulous night and we really needed her! Way to go Ari!

SSWS said...

Was it only 5 hours? We need more time! I'm sorry I missed Ari's performance. I do like the "ballet bun" look. Reminds me of the old days. Great post.

Jennifer said...

Did you get Santa's visit on tape, too? I laughed that your dad, I mean Santa, kept telling the kids, "Hurry, I have another party to go to."

The nativity far exceeded my expectations, which one might think doesn't say much, given they were so low. But really Ari and crew did a fantastic job. Everyone loved it! The nativity set the tone for a fabulous, yummy party. Kudos to your folks for all their help.

Nate said...

Sounds like a great division of labor...and you are THE supportive mom winner:)

Kristi said...

I can't stop laughing about Scott and the Nativity. LOL! You kill me, you really do.

Sharla said the HS friend party was a blast - great tradition!

laurel said...

That is so great. Love the performance. Love that you got some party time. Love the picture of the food. Hate that I don't have any of it here.