Friday, December 17, 2010

Mom and Me

Hi!  My name is Ptolemy and I live with my mom in a grey minivan.  We have SO MUCH FUN in that car.  We drive around, dropping off and picking up the big kids.  My mom gets me a cheeseburger whenever I get too loud in my carseat.  All I have to do is say, "I cookie!" and I get food.  Whenever I see the golden arches, I say, "I Coke!" and my mom gets me a big drink.  Yum!

Today we got an early start in our car.  The first trip was an emergency race to Daddy's office to resuscitate the Zune so Ruby could take it to her 6th grade Christmas party.  The 6th graders' idea of a party is copious amounts of sugar and unlimited electronics usage.  Whatev!

After that, Mom and I drove our car to the house and I waited, snuggled up in my carseat, while Mom filled all the kids' backpacks with homework, lunches and teacher gifts.  She lined the kids up by the front door and told them to leave for school in 15 minutes, and we were off to the junior high for the holiday assembly.  (Thank heavens Xanthe went to Coco's.  She's a nightmare at these things.  Short attention span, I guess.)  I sat quietly on Mom's lap and poked my finger in her eye while I listened to Golda's band play non-denominational holiday tunes.  Afterwards, I congratulated my big sis, and we were off again in our car.
I love to laugh in the car.  Mom and I chat the whole time, although I get the feeling she has no idea what I'm saying most of the time.  Sometimes we just listen to NPR and sip our beverages.  So anyway, we went from the junior high to Araceli's classroom to talk to the kids about Christmas in the Netherlands, show our wooden shoe collection and put a speculaas cookie in each of the kids' shoes.  Cute, huh?  The third graders loved me, but we eventually had to leave the party to go to the violin shop.  More people who thought I was cute, yada yada yada, and we were back in our car for a speedy trip to Sam's Club.  I guess Mom was picking up food for a couple of big parties at our house that my dad is "thrilled" about.  I dunno.  I can't keep up.
I love to play "Where's Ptolemy?"  Weird how Mom can't see me when I cover my eyes!
By the time I polished off my Sam's Club food samples, we were back at the school for Freestone's class party.

Mom did the whole wooden shoe thing again, kids fought over me, and we were back in the car, this time to go to the house for a nap.  Phew!  I was ready for that warm ,comfy crib.  I have to rest up for my errands this afternoon.  Mom and I have a bunch of ballet classes to drive girls to, some friends coming over, getting a sucker at the bank, another trip to the shop and a guitar recital.  Maybe a Temple Square drive-by if we have time.  Honestly, I don't know what Mom would do without me.  I sure put a smile on her face.  I love my mama and our cozy car!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I love these day in the life posts. My fav part of this one was listening to NPR and sipping our beverages. :) That is bliss... peace and quiet in the car, listening to whatever without hearing, Mom.... mom.... mom... and a DC. Bliss!

My boys are about to walk in the house from school. Let winter break begin!

Jennifer said...

Tolly's take on Xanthe is hi-lar-i-ous. I bet he shrugged as he said it.

laurel said...

So cute! I often wonder what goes on a little one's mind when they are trapped in the car like that. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

Michelle said...

Okay, I thought I had a lot of trips to the school today. YOu and Tolly win.

Kristi said...

So cute. I love this post. I remember feeling like Lily was being raised in a car.