Sunday, March 13, 2011

Great American Tragedy at Fresh Market

I ran into Willie Loman at the grocery store tonight.  He was hiding behind a display advertising "Professional Family Portraits!"  The cardboard stand was covered in large photographs (11x13!) that couldn't have been more recent than a decade ago.  Fleetingly, I wondered if the man had found the whole display in a dumpster and set up his racket as a scam.  The salesman shuffled even further behind his portraits when I smiled at him.  No, this salesman didn't have what it takes to be a scam artist.  His hair was wax-yellow, his fingernails nicotine brown, his bottom teeth all but rotted away.  His tie was what killed me.  It looked more like a tie-shaped remnant of a green floral couch than an actual tie.  That tie inspired an unbearable feeling of despair in me.  I thought of all the ties Scott has hanging in his closet, just one of which could make this guy's outfit a little more respectable.  I thought of the man's tired feet and Death of a Salesman flooded back to me with all its terrible tragedy.  A small man can be just as exhausted as a great man.

After offering my weak smile, I walked past Willie and took the groceries to my car.  I unloaded all the small items I had purchased for the family feast we were hosting the next day.  I thought of what I have in comparison to the beaten-down, homely salesman and I had to go back.  I had to.  It's just ten dollars, right?  I tried to justify giving away ten dollars that could buy our family a few gallons of milk or a few gallons of gas.  Then I tried to justify keeping it.  In the end, I guess I was just trying to alleviate my pity for the man.  I'm the New England man.  I'm vital in New England.


I went back in and drew the man out of his hiding place, saying, "So for only ten dollars, I can have my family's picture taken?"  He got a little excited and started showing me options.  I filled out a form for a family portrait, and my Mr. Loman pulled out the schedule.  With a professional huckster's air about him, he leafed through the pages saying, "Let's see, we have openings on Friday...or Saturday..."  For the first time, I noticed his handlebar mustache.  He was in his element now.  Before it's all over we're gonna get a little place out in the country, and I'll raise some vegetables, a couple chickens....  I looked.   Of the dozens of available time slots, one was filled in.  Just one.  I had him fill in my name right next to the other name.  As he perked up and launched into his sales pitch about how many poses and backgrounds I was entitled to, I just wanted to leave so I could cry my eyes out.  I wanted to tell him, everyone has a digital camera.  Nobody needs your photos.  Have you looked on the internet at all the creative, new ideas there are for family portraits?  Let me help you!  Let me at least give you a tie.

All I could hope was that the photographer had someone to go home to who would defend him like Linda defended Willie.  Attention, attention must finally be paid to such a person.  You can't eat the orange and throw the peel away.  A man is not a piece of fruit.

I went home under a heavy cloud and read a great book called In a Heartbeat by Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy, the people who inspired the movie The Blind Side.  It's all about their philosophy of "cheerful giving," and was full of examples of people helping people.  I just needed to hear something inspiring.  Although I live in the same world as the supermarket photographer, his existence doesn't have to make me jaded.  He will find his way, and maybe he has happiness that I can't see through his wrinkled tie and yellow fingers.  He might have a family who loves him.  I just pray he does.  If nothing else, he has an appointment next Saturday at 2:45 to photograph my family with a variety of backgrounds and poses.

6 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

You are a saint. Heartbreaking story :(

Jennie said...

...Such a simple thing. Stopping to take just a moment of your time. Maybe it will make a difference to Willie - maybe not. But, the important thing is that there was something that was struck within you. I think that is a big part of humanity. Not only the ability to see others and what they have to offer, but how others impact and influence each of us. What we do with those thoughts and feelings we glean from our interactions is the true test. Do we walk away uplifted and enriched? Do we take, take, take, and give nothing in return? Or, do we simply choose not to see? Opportunities are all around us. Well done! You passed this test and I can't wait to see the pictures. There truly is a story behind every photograph.

Nate said...

Thankful there are people like you who don't just walk by the Willie Lomans of the world.

michelle said...

What a story Circ. You inspire me.

Jennifer said...

Your compassion has reminded us that our dollars, when used in the right way, can pay for far more than a product.

In our old town my piano was tuned by a man with mental disabilities. His brother drove him to my house where he would have stayed for an hour on the driveway each time had I not invited him in. I cried too at the tuner's lot in life. His low fee, and that he didn't want to accept more money, seemed another cruel kick in light of his challenges. I mentioned him (and my sadness) to one of my co-workers who, as it happened, knew him. She helped me see that he was proud of his service and of the fee he had set.

I mention this because I, like you, hope your Mr. Loman has a support network like my piano tuner did with his family.

By the way, I called him to tune my piano when we moved. That time his whole family came with, because they decided to extend the journey north all the way to Idaho. Again, they were content to wait on the driveway even when I wasn't. I felt it awkward to have all of them hang out in my living room, and I haven't called him since. (Even though I was the one who prodded the group inside.) But your experience prompts me to call him again.

love.boxes said...

You are an angel Circ.