Monday, March 28, 2011

Newton's Laws at Work (and at Rest)

Did Isaac Newton have a second grader when he came up with the laws of motion?  Is that how he knew that an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force?  Freestone is the object and I am the outside force.  This kid has absolutely no desire to do anything that he isn't already doing at the moment.  Usually, what he is doing is careening around babbling stuff like, "I'm like swyeewww!  schyeeewww!  AAAAAAggg!  And then it's like I fell down and rolled all the way under the couch and a trap door opened up and I'm like heeeelp!  I'm falling!  And I fall into the center of the earth, no, all the way through the center of the earth and I keep going to - no past - infinity..."

With a reality like that, who cares about taking a shower?  If I manage to actually get the little space cadet into the shower, he will remain there, standing under the water until I turn off the water and hand him a towel.  I've never experimented past oh, 45 minutes or so, but I'm pretty sure Newton was right on this one.  A boy in the shower will stay in the shower until acted upon by an outside force.  And a dripping wet boy in a towel will stay in a towel.  And a boy eating breakfast will keep eating breakfast, and somehow a boy getting his shoes on has the uncanny ability to stretch that task to infinity and beyond, so that if he was left to his own devices, he would still be tying his shoes a year from now.

I attribute Freestone's slow orbit to the fact that his mind is nowhere near interested in what is going on in this plane of existence.  The universe inside that little head is vast and unrestrained, and in that incredible place, there is hardly a need for time as we know it, let alone hygiene and clothing.  The rest of us are soooo out of it.  Freestone's world reminds me of the last line in Back to the Future"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."   Which might also explain why Freestone can never remember to put on his seatbelt.

2 comments:

michelle said...

See, this is insight I need as I raise boys!

love.boxes said...

I love imaginators though. :)