Friday, March 18, 2011

My Zen Retreat

I'll let you in on a "clean little secret:"  I love cleaning the bathroom.  If you frequent my house, you're probably saying to yourself, "Really?  Because your bathroom isn't that clean."  True, given the hordes that mess it up constantly , but there is at least one point during each day that it sparkles, because I like to clean it every morning.  It's like a little spa treatment for me.  I turn on the hot, hot water and let it run while I wipe everything down (sink, walls, floors, toilet, baseboards, tub...) with Clorox toilet bowl cleaner.  I love the bleach smell and the steamy hot water.  I can almost imagine I'm at an indoor swimming pool.  Weird, but true.

If I could just figure out how to love cleaning my entryway as thoroughly as the bathroom, people would be greeted by cleanliness when they enter my house instead of shoes and backpacks.  I guess I could always open the front door and say, "Close your eyes and come with me.  Let's talk in the bathroom where the baseboards have just been sanitized and the air smells like an indoor pool.  It's very Zen-like.  Watch your step as you navigate the piles of shoes and schoolwork." What do you think?  Could that be awkward?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

At our house its the axact opposite! The bathrooms are messy and the entry way is clean!
brittany

Nate said...

Hooray for clean bathrooms! How do you find the time?:)

love.boxes said...

You are amazing... My answer to the bathroom is to shut the door and pretend they aren't part of the house. And, I've never noticed that you have a messy entry way, but you always have some pretty flower arrangement.

Julia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Cleaning bathrooms is only fun when you don't clean 10 in a day I guess! I do love my own to be clean though. I guess, so does everyone else too!

Michelle said...

In response to my daughter's comment, I think it is because my kids don't have enough chores! I think I need to try your clorox tip. Maybe the smell will do it for me!

Amber said...

you make me smile--was the hair thing on tues? can totally relate to the teaching reading post-- motherhood is full of lessons in patience!

Shane and Kenzie said...

I LOVE a clean bathroom, so inviting me in would help me feel right at home :) Even from when I was little, one of my favorite chores was to clean the toilet... werid? Yes. But it sure did work to my favor!

Sandy said...

Okay, courtesy of your blogpost I just cleaned my bathroom. And I hate cleaning the bathroom! :) I didn't quite get the poolhouse effect, so I might have to practice a little more often . . .