Sunday, January 1, 2012

Freestone's World

Freestone wanted to take a video of the car ride home from dropping the girls off at the junior high.  At the time, I thought I could just erase the meaningless footage later, so I gave him the green light on his project and forgot about it.  When I watched his video later, I saw our lives through Freestone's happy, carefree eyes and I saw something peaceful.  I liked it.  Just a moment in the life of an suburban eight-year-old son, a boy who is fun and thoughtful, loves nonsense and jokes, but has a sweet heart.  We were watching a movie last night and Freestone said to me, "Do you hear the violins, Mom?  I do."  If he had known how much I loved hearing him say that, he probably wouldn't have said it.  Later, on his way to bed, I said, "Good night, Freestone."  With a mischievous grin, he said, "Good night, Circe."  He's just a great kid and I'm lucky to have so many car rides ahead of me full of his banter, his ideas, his presence.

No comments: