Friday, January 6, 2012

I Am the Walrus

This is Ptolemy's picture smile.  He says, "I gotta smile."
I have new year's resolutions.  I have goals, aspirations, inspirations.  I have dangerously strong nesting instincts that are telling me to paint rooms and rearrange furniture.  But my head full of fabulous ideas is weighted down by a severely pregnant body that feels more like a beached walrus than a human.  I tell myself I feel great, but do I?  Do I?

All things considered, I do.  No complaints other than the usual pregnancy symptoms:  All internal organs crushed into spaces half their size, chronic sinus infection, groin muscles popping like old mattress springs, inability to get enough oxygen into my lungs, stomach the size of a cashew, and wondering whether to call the paramedics after climbing a flight of stairs.  No big deal.  At least I look great.  That's what people keep telling me, anyway, after I tell them the baby is due in three days.  (It makes me seem smaller.)

If you watch Ptolemy closely, you'll see exactly what a 40-year-old pregnant lady looks and acts like, because he's picked up some interesting behaviors.  He groans whenever he sits down or stands up.  He pants going up the stairs.  He lifts up his shirt and scratches his belly.  He gets agitated if there's no chocolate.  He makes these aggravated little sounds whenever something is hard, like, "Uuuuuuugh!  Rrrrrrrrrrgh!"  As if life couldn't possibly get more frustrating.  It's the sound I usually make when something falls on the floor and I know I'm going to have to somehow pick it up.  Ptolemy even stuck out his tiny tummy yesterday and said, "I have a Tziporah in here!  Two Tziporahs!"  Oh, he's so confused!

With only five short weeks left until the baby is born, I'm trying to savor each moment.  I don't care about the aches and inconveniences; this is my very last chance to carry a baby and call that bond my own.  It's hard not to wish the time away when something as exciting as a baby is on the horizon.  I have to stop and appreciate what's around me:  six fabulous kids, a great husband, a cozy home and a baby who, for just a short time longer, is mine alone.  It is a miracle that she is here, waiting and growing, so this day, and every day, is miraculous.  And fortunately, it doesn't take any physical strength or agility to ponder a miracle.  That, I can do.


12 comments:

Marilyn said...

Walrus?! I still can't believe what you are accomplishing while pregnant. Good luck these last few weeks. I think about you often.

Taylor Family said...

Love this post. I feel just the same way. I am so excited that we are having baby girls together. I bet it was Jersey's idea that they wait and make their appearance together.

Catherine said...

Sweet outlook on this wonderful world that is yours alone right now. Mother to precious Tziporah who is growing deep within you...and practicing her jumping skills by holding onto your rib cage and jumping on your bladder! :o)

Sweet, precious moments. So glad you're seeing the positive in this time.

The homestead said...

Being pregnant is so physically exhausting! I hope these last few weeks pass quickly for you.

Jennifer said...

Well, at least your beautiful power of expression isn't squashed to half its normal size. I'm STILL blaming my pregnancies for loss of brain activity.

Sorry. I know I'm among those who compliment pregnant ladies who look great. BECAUSE YOU DO! And knowing that it's hard, but that you are ever positive, shows in your countenance all the more. Goo-goo-ka-chew.

Jennie said...

Oh ouch! I feel for ya. I do. Those groiny muscles are the worst. Each step is pain.

You do look great though! You really do.

I hope these next few weeks will be kind to you. You deserve it.

Michelle said...

I don't care who you are, the last six weeks are so hard! I don't remember who told me that there is a reason we are prego 9 months because by the time you hit 9 you will do anything to get out of this predicament! You really do look great, I just wish you felt as good as you look!

Julia said...

Ha ha ha! I love that he is doing those things. You are amazing Circe! I am so excited for you guys. I love the name. She is already a princess. Love you, Julia

sws said...

I'm sorry I keep forgetting you are pregnant - it's because you DO look good and you never groan or complain around me. Can't wait to meet Tz - these 5 weeks are going to FLY!

Nate said...

You do look great and you are still amazing! Can't wait to see the baby:)

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!

laurel said...

That is so fun, clever, sweet....how do you do that? Love the lookon baby P's face.