Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowflake Bentley

Free educated the whole family on snowflake photography
I love this kid!

This is Freestone's biography report on Wilson Bentley, or Snowflake Bentley, as he was known.  I absolutely love the portrait of the man that Freestone drew.  Do you see the camera Snowflake Bentley used to take pictures of snowflakes?  Now if you look closely, you can see the guy's arm reaching for the camera.  That's the portrait of Mr. Bentley.  Freestone thinks it's very funny.  But wait!  It gets funnier.  At the bottom of the page, he wrote "lift up."  So if you turn the page, there is a real picture of Snowflake Bentley.  If that's not top quality humor, I don't know what is.  Furthermore, Freestone was unable to color the picture like he was supposed to because, "Mom, it's a black and white picture."  He did color the snow with a white crayon.  I thought that was a nice concession to the establishment from our avant garde 3rd grader.  I'm sure he doesn't care one bit about the score.  I have a feeling his teacher will be able to see enough Freestone in it to know what he was going for, though.  She knows "funny" is his language.  F for funny?  I hope not!  Whatever the grade, Free learned everything there is to know about Snowflake Bentley and had a great time doing it, so if you want to know about snowflakes or how to capture them on film, call Snowflake Freestone!



4 comments:

laurel said...

A genius!

Amanda said...

I love that book! In fact while I was teaching I bought the book Bentley made of all of his photos of snowflakes. Freestone would love it! It's pretty fun to look through.

Kristi said...

I have to agree, hs really is a crack up!

love.boxes said...

I love Snowflake Bentley so much. He found beauty in the ordinary and showed us all the intricate art pieces that God makes to land on our heads.