Saturday, April 13, 2013

At the Church

 Xanthe's baptism was beautiful.  The whole day was beautiful.  Xanthe had an interview with the bishop, a haircut with Brittany and her friend Emi's birthday party.  Then it was time!  She was nervous and said she wished the baptism could be later so she could have more time to practice.  I told her Daddy would take care of everything, and she wouldn't need to know anything.  She was shaking, but happy.

Scott's dad Bruce conducted the meeting and set the perfect tone for all of us to feel the spirit.  Golda and Ruby gave talks, Ari, Golda and I played our pieces, and then Bruce gathered the little children around the font.  Scott stepped into the water, and so did Xanthe.  He baptized her, and Golda was waiting for her as Scott led her out of the water.  Golda wanted to be the one to help Xanthe get dressed.  The rest of us watched a video Scott put together with photos of Xanthe.  Soon, she and Scott came out and it was time for the confirmation.  Golda had Xanthe dressed in her little pink dress with a pink flower in her hair.

As we have prepared for Xanthe's baptism, I have been mindful of the probability that Xanthe is the very first in her genetic line to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ.  To know that Xanthe's original family has never had the gospel reminds me how precious it is.  As the men gathered around, I felt a surge of gratitude and awe for each one.  Grandfathers, uncles, dear friends, and of course, Xanthe's dad, all with their hands on her small head because they love her, each with the literal power to bless her life.

In the confirmation, Scott paused and then asked Heavenly Father to allow the Holy Ghost to descend on a woman in China, to let her feel that Xanthe was doing something very special today, and that she was loved and taken care of.  It was a very moving prayer, and I think we all felt strongly that Scott's prayer was heard and answered.  How I wish I could see Xanthe's birth parents and share with both them the light Xanthe is and the light she has received through the gospel.  I am thankful for Scott's prayer.  He always says the exact right thing. 

Xanthe has a strong, innocent, clear testimony of the gospel.  She feels it, and it is uncomplicated and pure.  I am thankful for her.  I know that she is in the right place...on so many levels.




 Ptolemy says, "And one with me in it!"


 "...and me!"

 Wow!  I could print my Christmas cards right now with this picture!  Ah, I love these kids.



Grandma reassuring Xanthe that everyone is a little scared, and it's OK.

6 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

I am in tears.... I was thinking of skipping the whole church thing today and go to the park and Costco. The thought of Tate being the first ever to hear of Christ and the church really touched me and remind me that it is my duty to help fulfill the amazing blessings that are in store for Tate and her future generations. Better go... church starts in 45 minute!

Love the part of the blessing of little Xanthe's birth mom feel the spirit too.

Taylor Family said...

It was a perfect day. We are so glad we got to come and feel the spirit of your family. I love the family picture at the church. Such a fun day and as always a perfect party.

Michelle said...

I didn't see this post and the candy one last night. So glad I did! It truly sounds like a perfect day, I so wish we could have been there! That Scott is such a good guy, what a perfect sentiment. So picture me here in tears, because I can feel the spirit that filled that day straight through my computer!

Anonymous said...

That was a special baptism, thanks for sharing and Scott's prayers brought tears. Xanthe is where she should be and I feel her birth mother feels the spirit reassuring her of the loving home she is in and that all is "all right". I would love to have one of your group pictures and programs and invitations if you have any left over!..Beautiful!.xo Tricia

sws said...

What an amazing family - I love the photo of little X between two fantastic parents. What a beautiful day, I wish I could have been there but I'm so glad you blogged about it.

laurel said...

How wonderful! I cried when I read what Scott said in the confirmation! How wonderful. I hope that her birth mom recognized the spirit! How awesome.