Saturday, April 27, 2013

Ten Things You WILL Think When Watching Modern Dance

Are those costumes or street clothes?

Is this a dress rehearsal?  Where's the scenery?

Does every piece of choreography have to include dancers walking across the stage in a zombie trance?

What the...

OK, we get it!

I don't think I get it.

Is the sound system broken or is this John Cage?

Why are they all wearing blonde wigs and dragging one leg behind them?

When did I get so uncool?

What IS art?  Like, really.

Tonight at Ririe-Woodbury, the last piece took me from, "We don't need this crap.  What if we just walked out?  These people are delusional..." to "That was...moving?  Confusing?  Awesome?  Powerful?  It was...something.  And I want to see it again."

I guess that's art.  Plus, it compelled us to come home and act silly.  What's not to love about that?
Ruby's spoof of Ririe-Woodbury.

And the blooper to Ruby's spoof of Ririe-Woodbury.

I don't know if modern dance takes itself too seriously, or if I'm just missing the joke sometimes.  I do know that after this week, I really needed to be taken away somewhere where life's ridiculosity couldn't touch me.   The ridiculosity of art is far more bearable than the ridiculosity of life.  And yes, I know that's not a word, but sometimes life requires fake words.  It's called art. (insert sardonic smile.)


4 comments:

Jennie said...

I LOVE it you guys. So funny.

Rubes, your guitar piece was so beautiful. It has been fun to watch you get better and better.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Hahaha! Thanks for the good laugh:)

Shane and Kenzie said...

I recall feeling this same way after seeing my first modern performance...I also recall feeling like I had thrown all of my knowledge about dance completely out the window after my first RDT workshop! But it only got better from there, especially after dancing with the Alvin Ailey and Martha Graham companies in NYC (their pieces are quite tasteful). Now, I view modern dance as quite moving (well, unless the men are dancing in their man-thongs...that's just a BIT over the edge...).
Just last week I was coaching an 11 year old on modern dance and improvisation for an upcoming audition. After showing her a few ideas, she and her mom busted up laughing...and I totally get why! The world of modern is a beautiful mixture of insanity and normalcy, bundled up into a bunch of the weirdest looking movement you've ever seen...the kind of crazy movement that leaves you thinking, "hey...I want to try that..." ;)

laurel said...

You are so entertaining. Love it