Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Can I Get an Amen?

I just read an editor's note from the May Real Simple Magazine that began, "Yesterday I was standing in the office kitchenette, peeling a clementine, when I finally figured out what I don't like about Sheryl Sandberg's new book."  The editor's name is Kristin van Ogtrop.

She goes on to talk about how lucky she is to love her job and her life as a mother, and says, "I don't want to be striving for bigger/better/higher/more every minute...If a well-lived life is one of small triumphs, unexpected moments of beauty, and an abiding personal satisfaction, then most of us are on the right path."

Anyway, it was a working mother's perspective that totally coincided with how I felt about Lean In.  I would link to it, but it's not online yet.  It's interesting that Kristin and I were both saying the same thing:  We are not weak for not having a desire to claw our way to the top.  There is nothing wrong with us.  We may just already have what we want.  And as a quote I saw on Facebook said, "If we do not feel grateful for what we already have, what makes us think we'd be happy with more?"

Just thought it was interesting!