Monday, April 29, 2013

The Stakes are High

My brother Josh showed me this article that I thought was funny, and appropriate this time of year, as seniors make plans for college.

To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me

It's true, too.  College prep is a full-time job, starting at a very early age.  Ruby is in 8th grade and has already been thinking about which scholarships to prepare for and what classes she will have to take to qualify for certain ones.  For example, anyone who meets certain qualifications can receive a Regents Scholarship, provided funding is available.  You don't want to drop the ball and be short one of the requirements you need to get free money.  Also, Sterling Scholars are selected each year from our school, one from each of about a dozen categories.  Which ones do you want to prepare to apply for?  You have to decide by 9th grade.  Golda is already earning college credit, and both she and Ruby are planning the best way to graduate from high school with an associate's degree.  And they're not unique.  All the kids are doing this.  My friend's daughter has a 3.9 GPA and is ranked 81st in her class at Davis High.  That's not grade inflation.  Teachers are not handing out A's like candy.  There are just that many students who know the stakes, and whose parents know the stakes.  Golda and all her friends got AP study guides for Christmas.  Golda reviews flash cards whenever she's in the car, and when she's on YouTube, it's to listen to things like this.

When I was in high school, the extent of the counseling I received was a brochure and the comment, "Yeah, you should probably go to college."  Now, 7th graders know the exact grade requirements for all of the schools in our state.  They know their strengths and weaknesses, and they know all the options available to them.  With so much information, it would be irresponsible not to prepare and grab some of these scholarships and opportunities.  Ruby has been looking into a school (Naval Maritime Academy?) that Scott heard about.  A friend of his told him that four scholarships a year are available to Utah students, and he usually has only two applicants.  So yes, there are ways to pay for college, but you have to do your research, on top of studying, filling up your resume with skills, talents and community service, and - oh yeah - having a life.  I don't know how kids do it.  My one piece of advice when I look at the empty spaces on my kids' resumes is, "Be a good writer."  I can't help but believe a good college essay will get you places.  In fact, I wonder if the girl who wrote the Wall Street Journal article snagged an acceptance letter or two with that essay!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

OMGosh, I love that You Tube Video. What a great way to study all that "stuff". :) I know what you mean. I feel like we know what we're doing with college and such and we are still behind. And then there is all the pressure to pass the AP tests. Lex is doing fine in the classes, but the test is hanging over her head like a noose. :( All we can do it our best, right?

Unknown said...

Oh boy, did I enjoy this post! And thanks for the article. I had to do a double take and make sure that the author wasn't my own burned-out Junior. Yes, she wishes she was left-handed and Jewish, because there seem to be plenty of scholarships for such folk. I can not even begin to tell you what kind of mental gymnastics I go through every day just trying to figure out how to get my child to and through college. "Join the Ogden Youth guild. That will look good on your college resume! You want to be in two youth symphonies next year? Fabulous. Oh thank heavens, another 1 at state solo & ensemble! Less than one year, before you start auditioning at universities. Get that repertoire whipped into shape!" Meanwhile, her pre-calculus grade is steadily slipping, and 2 AP tests loom in the distance. Heaven help us!

Anonymous said...

Wow!..and we (your folks and I) thought we were doing great sending you kids to summer school, 7th, 8th and 9th grade! and getting a heads up on things, which I am sure, at the time, we were, but unbelieveable now!..Good luck to all your family and to those friends' children out there!. What will it be like when Pt and Tzizzy goes to school!. Good luck all!..may all your dreams come true and the studies and extracurricular activities pay off, keep the faith! xo Tricia