Friday, April 19, 2013

The Ortho Made Me Do It

I'm blaming it on the ortho, because my child is practically perfect in every way.  Immediately after Golda's ortho appointment, she got in the car and huffed, "My head hurts and I refuse to go to youth symphony.  This is a free country.  I have rights."

I said, "No...you have parents."

Golda fumed, "I have agency!"

I shrieked, "You have rehearsal!!"

Well, guess what?  That was the last we talked about it and Golda didn't go to rehearsal.  There is just something very unglamorous about slinging a 15-year-old over your shoulder, shoving her in the trunk of your car and dropping her off at youth symphony.  I mean, her thousand-dollar flute could get damaged.

I was livid.  Livid!  Golda uses her agency and this is what she comes up with?  Like I said, curse the ortho for inflicting pain right before rehearsal.  Golda was acting irrationally because of the emotional and physical duress of her recent visit to the orthodontist, is what I think.  What else would make her want to exercise her free agency, when she has a perfectly reasonable mother to do that for her?

Here's the kicker:  When we hashed it out later, I asked Golda what possessed her to dig in her heels like that.  She said in a tiny voice, "I thought you'd still make me go."  Aha!  I interpret that to mean, "Mom and Dad, I'm trusting you to create and define boundaries for me, and then enforce them."  Golda probably wouldn't go that far, but I think it's true of all young people.  In addition, I feel a need to point out to my children that their responsibilities are actually more important than their "rights."

Well, I thought we had all learned our lesson.  Then a few days later, I got this text from Golda concerning wind ensemble auditions:


 See that scary face I texted her?  (Tip your head to the left.) I meant for it to look like a 300-pound Mr. Miyage with control issues.  I think she got it.  Scott and I later told her that she could either audition for wind ensemble, thus creating more opportunities for scholarships, or she could get a job at Lagoon to pay for her college.

Golda is an outstanding person with many laudable qualities, a strong work ethic, excellent grades, a rock-solid testimony of the gospel, numerous talents and a desire to do right.  She has it all together.  However, she is not an adult.  It's nice to know that Scott and I aren't completely irrelevant quite yet.  We love you, Golda!  Now go practice.


No comments: