Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Erma Bombeck

I'm in the middle of six books that I don't have the brain power to finish.  Yesterday, someone asked me what time it was in France and I said, "It's 2:00 here, so 2 plus 8 is...."

My friends politely waited approximately forever before laughing and offering me the answer.  Ten.  Two plus eight is ten.  Phew.  That was a toughie.


So I'm impressed with myself that I was able to buckle down and read all the way to the end of a book last night, especially since it was midnight and I knew I would be woken up at 2:00 in the morning with messages from Golda and Ruby, since it would be.........10:00 AM where they are and they would want to check in.  If I had known when I was reading that Tziporah would invent her own time zone where people don't need sleep, and I would be up at 2:30 helping her look at pictures on my phone, I might have traded in some of my reading time for a nap.


But I'm sleep-averse when I should actually be sleeping that I cracked open another book when I had finished the first one.  I guess I was just inspired by Erma Bombeck.  I have always loved her.  (Thanks for lending me the book, Jennifer!)  I remember that Erma Bombeck died at a fairly young age (69), and that I was sad when she died.  I looked up her bio and found "If I Had My Life to Live Over."  It hit me hard because I already feel like I'm in the very best stage of my life, and it's going too quickly.  Even if I relish every second, my little ones will still grow up, and I'll be left, like Erma, wondering if I could have done it better.   I don't want that to happen.  


Today on the Diane Rehm show, the guest was Barry Manilow, the man who wrote and sang the soundtrack to my 17-year-old life, when I was falling in love with Scott.  Barry's music brought back all the intense feelings of missing Scott when I went to college.  It also reminded me that - hello! - I am living the life I always wanted, and it's better than I even thought it would be.  All that's really left for me to do is  look around and take it all in, and love it.  And never forget Erma's advice:



IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER



I would have talked less and listened more.




I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.




I would have eaten the popcorn in the "good" living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.




I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather rambling about his youth.




I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.




I would have burned the pink candle sculped like a rose before it melted 

in storage.




I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.




I would have cried and laughed less while watching television, and more 

while watching life.




I would have gone to bed when I was sick, instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.




I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.




Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment, realising that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.




When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."




There would have been more "I love you's" and more "I'm sorry's"




. . . but mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute . . . 

look at it and really see it . . . and never give it back.
― Erma Bombeck

6 comments:

Happy Mom said...

Circe, I found your blog from Nadine's awhile back (she's my wonderful neighbor!), and I have occasionally looked at yours when I'm wanting to enjoy entertaining writing and parenting experiences I can relate to. We've had kids in ballet and marching band together (Becca Francis), and even on the same basketball team, but I've never chatted much with you! I just admire you from afar! Anyway, I saw that your daughter was in France, and in Lille, no less! My 19 year old daughter just arrived in France last Tuesday from the MTC. Lille is her first city, and I didn't know it existed prior to this week. So, I felt comforted, weirdly, to know that girls we kind of knew were there! Even though I'm sure they didn't run across each other. Anyway, I just wanted you to know how I enjoyed that! And to say hi! officially for reading your blog sometimes.
Linda Francis

Shane and Kenzie said...

That gave me the chills reading that. Opens my eyes to how I should be "seizing" every moment...because they won't come back for me to give them a second chance. Life is short, but it is oh so beautiful!

michelle said...

Another post I love! You may hesitate at addition but dang you are firing on all cylinders when it comes to writing girl! Love Erma Bombeck, in fact reading this post I realized you sort of remind me of her and that is a high compliment. I know you are right, trying so hard to savor every minute!

Anonymous said...

Love this blog, as usual. Inspiring. Coco

Anonymous said...

Love this blog, made me think about so many things! Think I need to go out and buy an Erma Bombeck book! Loved her too, but really never read anything through. The quotes you gave, very inspiring..makes me think how fast my life has and is passing by..dang! better get on that bucket list! xo Tricia..thanks again for a great post, all have been so great these last few days..love the one at the cabin, all the cousins, nothing like memories of cousin time, wish we lived closer! no cousins here! and the one about doing nothing..when really you are doing something..making memories! xo Tricia,,,how do you do it all!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I love it!