Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ptolemy Has Decided to Turn Four

Four years ago today, Ptolemy made his debut.  All of the births of my children and the day we got Xanthe have been the best days of my life.  I would do it again and again.  And I have!  We had the four oldest kids at Ptolemy's birth, and they were so excited to be there.  At the last minute, I got nervous and sent them into the hall.  It is the biggest regret of my life.  I was sick about it for months afterward, because right after they went out, Ptolemy was born, and they missed it.  I still can't get over it, and I'm still sad about it.

On the bright side, they came right back in and Golda got to cut the cord.  And since that first meeting, we have had endless fun with this boy.  Everyone loves him with all their hearts, and that is a lot of heart.  I had to laugh at this post I wrote soon after he was born.  Since Xanthe was already five when Ptolemy came on the scene, it was the easiest thing in the world to have one precious little baby to love and play with.  So easy!  The little guy had two parents and five siblings to respond to his every whim.

 For better or for worse, and I'm going out on a limb and saying "worse," Ptolemy still thinks he is a little emperor.  He definitely operates under the delusion that he is the center of the known world and points beyond.  In short, we have ruined him, but it has been so fun!

And maybe he'll still turn out.  Right now, though, it's not looking good.  We try not to laugh at his naughtiness, but it's so painfully funny!  All three-year-olds love potty words, and Ptolemy's favorite is "butt."  I say to him, "Tolly, we don't say potty words."

He replies, "OK, you freaky butt!"

That is the point where parents are supposed to impose some sort of disciplinary action, but I can't because I have to turn away so he won't see me laughing.  I know, I know.  Butt it's cute.  (I said butt.  Tee hee!)

Besides, discipline is completely lost on Tolly.  Scott reprimanded him about something and he said, "Dad, you're out of your mind.  You freaky butt!"

It's hopeless, and it's all our fault, but there's nothing we can do because love is blind, and we're all madly, hopelessly in love with Ptolemy.  We're blind to his faults and highly entertained by his antics.  And if he doesn't turn out, we have other kids that can be responsible members of society while Ptolemy goes around calling people names and screaming, "I CAN DO...EVER I WANT!!"






 Birthday celebration #2...a birthday eve dinner at Oakridge.  Ptolemy ordered David's pizza with olives, and also was allowed to get a treat!  That only happens once a year at Oakridge, lest the kids get conditioned to think they can have anything they want if they tell the snack shack people the secret code.  Can you see Ptolemy with that kind of power?  It would be like the scene out of Aladdin where Jafar gets the magic lamp.

Happy birthday, little guy.  We love you.  As if you couldn't tell!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you Ptolemy, you are the cutest and getting so big! and say the cutest things. Wonderful pictures of you, you look like a French artist! May you have a wonderful birthday with lots of fun and many, many more birthdays! Enjoy, it is your day! I am so glad you are in our family, even if I do not get to see you very often! Happy Birthday to a sweet, handsome, wonderful Ptolemy! Love you, Great Aunt Tricia xo

michelle said...

No one has ever been ruined by being loved too much! Ptolemy is such a fun character you can't help but love him! Hope he has a fantastic birthday!

Jennie said...

We hope he has a wonderful birthday. I think he is all bark and no bite. Uncle Ryan has a great time teasing him when he demands something. It has been fun to watch the two of them.

Jacy said...

I wonder what would happen if your little emperor and my little princess ever hooked up ... they'd spend all their time demanding each other to fulfill their whims!!! So funny!! oh ... and Lyla could hang just fine with the butt lingo!! :)