Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trial Weekend


 Every three-week road trip needs a trial run, so I thought I would take the "D. C. Group" to Park City for an overnighter.  Friday, we played at the pool with the Scheullers.  Tziporah's new word is "Annie."  Everyone is Annie, and she says it lovingly, over and over.  She had a great time playing with Annie at the Ranch.



 For dinner, we drove to Heber and ate at the Dairy Keen, also raiding the Dollar Store for cousin birthday gifts and snacks for our trial trip.

 That night, we went on a little scenic drive, overlooking the Jordanelle Reservoir.
 And then we were up the next morning, enjoying the beautiful mountains.  Scott missed us, so he decided to come up, too, after doing a little school shopping on the way.
 The kids love to have bagels and kid hot chocolate at Starbucks, and I love to be out and about in the morning.  We are a perfect team!  Notice how I'm wearing some weird exercise clothes I found at the Ranch.  We don't pack when we go up.  We just throw the outfits we have on in the washer and put on Ranch-supplied pajamas.  Well, that doesn't work when you forget to put the clothes in the dryer.
 In all of our adventurousness, we drove into the Jordanelle State Park and found out they were having fireworks over the water that night.  Well, if that isn't perfect!
 Our hero, Scott, brought up banh mi from Oh Mai to eat poolside.  I love the landscape of Deer Valley with its carved-out ski runs in the background.  I swear, those sandwiches tasted even better in the mountains!

More poolside...

 ...more shopping...

 ...and another swim, this time in the rain.


After drying off and having chow mein for dinner, we thought we'd test the kids on their driving (passenger) skills.  We put a movie on for them and drove to Kamas and Oakley, then parked overlooking Jordanelle for fireworks.  We imagined we were in some exotic location, instead of right here in our back yards.  Utah is a paradise, and we get so used to it, we don't see it.  Before Golda and Ruby left, I kept telling them that they were going to notice the mountains here for the first time when they come back, after not seeing them for two months.  After seeing the Alps, we'll see, but it sure is beautiful here in Zion!


The fireworks were fun, and just the thing to do, since our girls were seeing fireworks in France for Bastille Day.  Sunday morning, we didn't leave too early, but just in time for 11:00 church.  So it was a good weekend.  I've been thiking about the trip to D. C. for months, and now suddenly it's time.  I don't feel ready!  But after this weekend, at least I know that I'll be in good, fun company.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Again I say no one parties like the Dopps! I love that picture of X cradling Ptolly's head!