Friday, January 9, 2015

Adventures With Nana Ruby


"Well, this is stupid."
Wednesday morning I loaded up Tizzy, Rolayne and Ptolemy in the car to visit Nana.  She hadn't answered the phone when I called to say I was coming, so I left the kids in the car while I went to the door to see if she was home or...not home or...I mean, she's 98.  Anything can happen!

No answer at the door, so I peered in the window and there was Nana!  On the floor!  Trying to inch her way to the door.  With lightening speed, I got the key, unlocked the door and raced in.  Nana said she was thirsty and she couldn't move.  When I realized I couldn't help her up, I called my mom, then the paramedics.  In the meantime, all the kids were still buckled in.  I pulled the car in the garage and left them while Nana and I waited.  Poor Nana, she kept saying, "Now why am I on the floor?"  She was all dressed up for the day and looked beautiful.  Little did she know, she was in for quite an outing.

When the paramedics got there, they kept asking her who the president of the United States is.  She didn't know.  I finally said, "Um...Nana doesn't like it when we talk about politics, or the Utah-BYU rivalry.  Maybe ask her something else."  But Nana couldn't remember anything.  She was too traumatized.  When the paramedics left to get the gurney, Nana muttered, "Well, this is stupid."  Well said!  Getting old is stupid!  Better than the alternative, as my dad says.  :)

Long story short, she spent the night at the hospital and now she's back home with home health care and even more visits from family, friends and neighbors.  Nana doesn't even take any medications.  She is a healthy health nut!  She is organized and proper and smart and righteous and kind, loving, independent, self-reliant, funny.  I think she's about as perfected as one can become on this earth.  Even so, she is learning a new lesson today, starting physical therapy.  On to the next adventure!

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so glad she is feeling better. Scary!

michelle said...

I'm just so glad she is safely home! Whew!

Ben and Athena said...

Sweet Nana! I'm so glad you were there to help her. Give her a hug and kiss from me. It's so nice to know that she is so well taken care of with you and your mom and everyone else. She truly is so wonderful.