Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Call It Addiction

Monday night, there was a crisis.  I misplaced everything.  My address book, calculator, metronome, tuner, camera, credit card machine, flashlight, scriptures, alarm clock, TV, the book I was reading AND my computer.

I'm talking, of course, about my phone.  When I got home from teaching at the shop at 9:30, the familiar bulk of my phone in my coat pocket wasn't there.  Scott had been trying to call me, too. He was worried that I hadn't picked up and the roads were icy.  The phone wasn't in its usual pocket of my purse, either.  What was I going to do for the next two hours?!  I know!  Check my messages.  Oh, wait.  Read my book, disengage from technology!  No.  That would be on the Kindle app.  Answer emails.  Uh-uh.  OK then, I'll just read the newspaper.  Sorry, Flipboard, my digital newspaper, is on the phone!  I could message my friends or family on Whatsapp and tell them how funny it is that I don't have my phone.  Doh!  Well, I'll call my mom.

I'm slow.  It's like when the power goes off and you keep flipping switches anyway.  I was naked without my device!  I was not only naked, I was handicapped.  Well, this would be a good chance to interact with the people around me.  I could text Ruby in the basement and have her come upstairs to talk to me.  No?  Oh, I know!  I could call Golda and have her swing by the shop on her way home and get the phone!

I think what I ended up doing was watching Scott with envy as he watched SportsCenter on his phone.  Then I went to sleep and dreamed that my poor little phone was dropped in a puddle in the parking lot, shivering and lost, freezing to death.  Do we need to mention the word "addiction?"

When I found the phone, safe and sound in the shop the next morning, I even said to it, "We need to reevaluate our relationship."  Then I gave it a little hug.  Just a little one, because I don't have a problem.  I could walk away anytime.  Just...no further than an arm's length.

2 comments:

Ernstfamilyfun said...

hahaha! Me too.

The homestead said...

I didn't have my phone once and was LOST without it. No phone numbers and no schedule. It is horrible to be so dependent on such a little device!