Saturday, January 17, 2015

Normal Kids

Araceli:  "Sometimes I just want to be a normal kid and hang out and do nothing."

Freestone:  "Like they do in the movies?"

Araceli:  "No, like real kids!"

"Freestone:  *sigh* "I wouldn't know."

That was an actual conversation my kids had.  You feel sorry for them, don't you?  Don't.  They were just being highly dramatic.  What were they doing when that conversation took place?  Nothing.  I rest my case.

Granted, we keep our kids busy.  During the week, they don't have free time, and if they do, they darn well better be feeling guilty about it.  After all, I'm sure they could be cleaning their rooms cooking dinner for someone or practicing more or asking their mother what they can do to help.  Still, the kids have ample time here and there and on weekends to "do nothing."  They're just not very good at it.  They get restless, they argue, they wrestle, and you know the old adage about fun and games until someone loses an eye, don't you?  It's all about supply and demand, and in life, there are constant demands on your time.  You learn to structure it and budget it, to earn and create your free time, not to wade through a vast wasteland of it.

Now you're sad because my kids don't have free time just to ride their bikes aimlessly around the neighborhood until the street lights go on, aren't you?  Well, have you ever tried to get Freestone to ride a bike?  Have you ever tried to get 7 kids of various ages to ride bikes outside all day long, until dark?  Have you ever even tried to get 7 kids of various ages to go outside, just to see what it's like out there?  I have.

But you think the poor things are overworked and stressed and pushed to the breaking point.  Well, I've seen what they're capable of when they're engaged in things that they love, and I've seen the satisfaction when reaching a goal takes a very long time.  Years, even.  I've seen how it stretches the kids to fail and fall short and try again, and I've seen what they can do when they're given opportunities to turn their free time into something worthwhile.  I have seen the understanding dawn on their faces when I point out the fact that you can turn ten hours into reading a whole book or fifty hours into a beautiful dance, or a hundred hours into a successful audition.

So downtime is rare.  That way, they have something to be wistful about: free time.  And I promise you, when we're at the beach with nothing to do?  Nobody is complaining.  Supply and demand, I tell you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'm so sick of feeling judged by people because I choose to involve my kids in things. Yes we are busy and don't have a lot of down time. But the growth and experiences they are getting from these activities is priceless. You are so well spoken. I need to memorize this post to relay next time I hear comments about my own decisions with my kids. Thank you.