Saturday, May 30, 2015

Freestone's Book 3 Recital


From many hours of this...
Freestone achieved this.  His Suzuki Book 3 recital.  He played the Martini Gavotte, the Back Minuet, Gavotte in g Minor, Humoresque and the Bach Bourree that he played in Suzuki graduation a few weeks ago.  Janet Buhler, his teacher, accompanied him, and I played with them on a couple of pieces.  Or maybe just one.  I can't remember.  I was proud of Freestone.  He played well.  The beginning of this school year was rough for Freestone, all around.  He wanted to quit violin in the worst way, but I just said no.  We were not going to let one rough patch define us.  Sometimes things are hard, but if it's something that's part of your overall goal, you don't give it up.  I knew I would be sick about it forever if I let him quit, so he suffered through.  Janet and I both think he's turned a corner where he's not so resistant.  He's learning faster.  He has no idea how much he knows, if he would just apply himself.  Besides that, he is smart and has a good ear.

All said, I am happy with our experience in violin.  Freestone and I are starting to have some fun practicing.  I've learned a lot about patience and understanding.  Freestone has learned a lot about not pushing me to the breaking point and how if you do, I might hit you with my bow.  Actually, he hasn't learned anything about not pushing me.  In fact, I think he does it on purpose to see me go ballistic and scream, "Don't waste my time, Freestone!  Put your violin up and PLAY THIS!"  He is a master at stalling.  Sounds fun, huh?  ;)  But it's hours and hours I have logged with Freestone and I'm grateful to my boy that he has hung in there.  He's doing it for me, I know that.

Thankfully, Freestone never complains about going to lessons, even if he's less than enthusiastic for Janet.  Granted, it's at 6:30 in the morning.  Every Thursday I wake up Xanthe and Freestone at 6 and they roll into the car.  Last week, we forgot Freestone's violin.  But usually, we're with it enough to drive through McDonald's for Freestone's breakfast burrito and Xanthe's 3 chocolate chip cookies, and get to Janet's house in time to nap in the car for a few minutes.  Janet is a teacher who instinctively taps each child's strengths and has infinite patience, as long as kids are practicing.  She has been very accommodating with Freestone's reticence, but she doesn't cut him any slack.  She hold his feet to the fire.  And what she has done for Xanthe is a whole other story.  She is one of those teacher who is more than a teacher.

Janet came up between lessons to play for us.  Thank you!



It's always great to have the grandparents there to support us as well as Jennie and Ryan, Nikki and Clint and Josh and Emily.  I can't remember exactly who was there that night, but we needed an audience, and we got one!  Thank you!
Freestone gave invitations to his friends that said, "Please come to my Suzuki Book 3 recital, followed by pizza and Magic the Gathering."  We were pretty sure they wouldn't come if it was just the violin recital!  We drove the boys down to Hajomaje, the new location, and they played Magic, this deck-building game, against grown ups all night.  They're solid friend, these boys.  Sam and Carter here and the other friends Freestone plays with.  They're the geeky smart kids.  That makes me happy.  But if Freestone would put the effort he puts into Magic, into anything else, he would be unstoppable.  He could have learned Book 3 in a month.  The other day, he said, "I have a lot of research and studying to to tonight."  Of course it was for the card game.  It's complicated.  He tries to play it with Scott and me, but we don't get it.  I try, though.  If Freestone can plug away at unravelling the mysteries of the violin, I guess I can give Magic the Gathering a shot.

No comments: