Sunday, May 31, 2015

Project Miami




 I had the tremendous opportunity to go to Miami to help my aunt Tricia babysit my godsons, my cousin Sarah's boys, while Sarah and Roland were on a trip.  It just so happened, and this is a true miracle, that the dates of Sarah and Roland's trip happened to be during a week that nothing mandatory was happening at home.  Both orchestras, ballroom and guitar had just ended and had their recitals.  Golda's flute teacher was out of town.  I hadn't scheduled my Tuesday students because of Tziporah's ballet recital, so I only had to make up half my students.  I did miss Tizzy's recital and Freestone's Shakespeare play, and I cancelled violin and piano, but this time of year, having a calm week like that is unheard-of.  The previous week, we had 6 recitals!  So.  It was meant to be.  Incidentally, the minute I got back, the end of year firestorm resumed.  Scott said, "Why was it so calm while you were gone?"  It's me.  I'm the problem.  :)  And Ptolemy.  He didn't have to be taken to tee ball or kindergarten while we were gone.  One less kid makes it seem like a cake walk. Ptolemy got to go with me because I thought it would be fun for him to hang out with Alex and Lincoln.  Everyone else had things they had to be to.  School, for one.
 Anyway, we took the redeye nonstop from Salt Lake to Miami.  Once Ptolemy drank his gin and tonic, he slept like a baby the whole way.  I'm kidding.  He found this ultra cool mini bottle under his seat.  It's his favorite toy now.  And he did sleep the whole flight.  Ptolemy is preternaturally cheerful.  Get dropped off at the airport at bedtime and wait until midnight to board a flight?  OK!  Get woken up at 6 am to get off the plane and call a cab?  OK!!  Play all day with kids you haven't seen since Christmas and other kids you've never met?  Sure!  He is shy, so most people don't know how playful and fun he is.  He can rip a tantrum, but it's like a cloudburst.  Wait a minute and it's over.
 Sunday morning, Ptolemy still in his flight attire, playing with Lincoln.
 And Alex and the puppy, Betty Lou Choucha.

Sarah and Roland's house is a work of art.  Sarah has a design business, B Design.  Her house reflects her cutting edge style and impeccable eye.
 We arrived Sunday morning and Roland and Sarah flew out Sunday night.  We had to maximize our time, and we sure did!  Tricia came from Hollywood and we all went to lunch and the pool at the Edition Club with Heidi and Pierre, Sarah and Roland's friends.



 Sarah and Heidi's daughter.  It seemed terribly touristy to snap photos at lunch, so I tried not to.  But now I don't have any pics of Roland, Heidi or Pierre.
Heidi and Pierre's dock
 The kids and I went home with Heidi while Roland and Sarah hurriedly packed.  They have a beautiful home, and Heidi gave me the complete tour while the kids played in the toy wing.  Heidi is authentic and fun, and I appreciated her friendship while I was there.
 I sent this pic to Scott.  I didn't even try to pretend that I was overworked.  Trading 7 kids for 3, and none of my regular responsibilities?  Let's face it, this was a vacation, a time to spend with my aunt Tricia, a time to get to know my godsons better.  All of those things were accomplished, and it was like a key lime slice of heaven.  (Foreshadowing of our adventures!)
 I just wish Sarah and Roland could have stayed longer, but too soon, Juan and Esther were on the scene trying to expedite the packing process.  They ran Sarah and Roland the the airport probably just in the nick of time for their flight to Rome.  And Project Miami began!

No comments: