Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Celebrating Coco's Birthday IB-Style

 The sunrise was brilliant for Coco's birthday Tuesday, and I was up early to pick up Golda at the airport.  We were all looking forward to spending some time with our college girl, and I couldn't wait to see her.  I left early and grabbed a pastry in Coronado.  Walking the streets, I thought about my mom and her birthday.  I'm a lousy gift giver, mainly because I don't care about "stuff" and getting stuff, so it's hard to think about what "stuff" other people would want.  And also because I'm a terrible person.  So instead of giving my mom the heartfelt gift that she so richly deserves, whatever that may be, I thought about how my mom is passionate about France.  The story came to mind about the pineapple fields in Oahu, and how she gazed out over their splendor and mused, "I can't believe I've never been to Provence."  France is never far from Mom's thoughts.
So here you go, Mom.  I little French corner on a Coronado side street.  Maison des Cloches.  House of the bells.
The Scott Dopps were delighted when the Jeff Dopps decided to come visit us in IB and see what all the fuss was about.  Ptolemy couldn't even sleep, planing out all the things he was going to show Landon.  We had the best day!  This week at the beach was the warmest ever.  All the jackets and socks and leggings we brought just sat unused in the drawers while we spent the entire week in just swimsuits.  It was so record-breakingly warm that Emily teased these guys (via Instagram) about wearing wetsuits.  The wetsuits are just for rash protection.  The Pacific was bathtub warm.  Unbelievable!



Richelle and I kept an eye on the 12 kids who were all in varying degrees of ocean water.  One of us swam out to save Freestone and Tanner when they got caught in a riptide, but the lifeguard beat her to it.  The other one of us watched the whole thing with the detached nonchalance of a mildly interested pigeon.  Sometimes I have doubts about my maternal instincts.  I do like it when my children don't get pulled out to sea.  I will say that.
Golda was hardly in any pictures all week!  She came in on Tuesday, but wasn't there for the cousin shark pic, or most of the other pics either.  She was there, I promise!  And it was so fun to talk to her and catch up.


I love these kids.
This is a rite of passage, being able to carry the GIANT Seacoast Pizza.  This could be Tanner's Gentile Bar Mitzvah of the Beach.  Now he's a real man.  Mazel toppings, Tanner!  Jeff doubted the Giant, but it did indeed feed all of us.  Never doubt the Giant, Jeff.


All of Utah was in California for fall break.  This is Heather Ence Housley, my friend from high school.  She has 2 Chinese daughters, so we have something in common, but we haven't seen each other since high school.  It took IB to bring us together.  :)

Catching crabs, but in a good way.



Soon he'll be able to carry a giant all by himself.  Sniff, sniff.



Who is that stud?  He looks like he belongs on a long board!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Looks dreamy. That's a fun story of Hawaii not being able to dislodge your mom's hankering for France. What a sweet way to think of her for her birthday. And all this time I thought cloche was bell. Guess clocks can ding, too!