Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Revenge of the Shoulder Pads

Scott and I took a couple of our kids to the Lang Lang performance with the Utah Symphony.  It was a black tie affair, so we trotted out Scott's tux and my beautiful Albert Nipon prom dress from 1989.  Oh, the humanity!  Take a look at these shoulder pads!  We were obviously serious when we wore these, but I can't imagine how we could have been.  My beloved prom dress was literally unwearable.  Even after I cut out the shoulder pads, the supporting fabric was enough to get me airborne if I turned to quickly.  Even Scott's tux was outfitted with shoulder pads, and the sleeves came down past his wrists.  Yet we thought we were such hot stuff back in the day.

Scott sent me a text the next day:  "I'm leaving you.  I thought I was marrying a woman with bigger shoulders.  False advertising."  Now I get why we didn't hear much about "modesty" in 1989.  Girls - and boys! - would never have exposed their shoulders, as skinny and narrow as they were.  I'm sure the narrow-shouldered among us were at the very bottom of the food chain.  If that was the case, then I must have been waaaay at the top, at least at Prom.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Um...the fact that you can even fit into that prom dress is an accomplishment worth noting. My 1980's prom dress would not fit pass my 2015 hips, I guarantee!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Well that is awesome that you can fit into your High School prom dress!! Good for you!

Catherine said...

I love that you still have that dress and also that you fit into it! You rock!! My dresses from 1989 would barely fit around my theigh now!

I know...some are dream clothes in the closet. Not that I'd ever wear them...but I dream of fitting into them someday! LOL!