Thursday, October 29, 2015

Taco Soup "Recipe" for Catherine

Here you go, Catherine!  Real foodies will cringe at my haphazard mixing of seasonings, but there's literally no way to mess this up.  Just throw it all in the crock pot.

Brown/cook the ground beef with onions, garlic, maybe celery and carrots and taco seasoning or a curry.  I usually use an Iraqi curry that I'm not sure what it has in it, but I love curries.

Use a carton or two of pumpkin or butternut squash soup for the base.  I don't know what brand, but I got it on the organic foods aisle.  It has a little nutmeggy quality that is delicious.

Add diced tomatoes or salsa, kidney beans, rinsed black beans (so the murky color doesn't ruin the soup), navy beans...really whatever beans you want.  And a bag of frozen corn, and sometimes I buy a bag of frozen, diced butternut squash or something like that, too.

Serve with sour cream and a squirt of sriracha mayo on top, maybe some grated cheese or crumbled queso fresco, and tortilla chips on the side.

No comments: