Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Best-Laid Plans

Yesterday...it's about time for some warm weather!!
Xanthe forgot her backpack for Teacher Jen's class this morning. We were parked in front of the school and it was time to go in. Freestone had the perfect solution.

"We could go to the bank, get a sucker, take the wrapper off without ripping it, go to Ellison's house and put the code in her computer and the backpack will just come in the mail. And it doesn't have to be a superheroes backpack." Well, I don't know why I didn't think of that, except that it's an urban legend that Dum Dum sucker wrappers can be used to order toys online, and that if it were true, it would take several weeks to get the backpack, which is longer than the one minute we have until school starts. I'm thinking Xanthe can go without a backpack today.

Now I'm beginning to see why "Go get your shoes on" doesn't translate into kids immediately getting their shoes on. Kids have absolutely no concept of time. They also live in an elaborate reality where all things are possible. An hour later, Freestone was still set on the sucker wrapper idea. I told him to go to the mailbox and see if there were any checks (from violin renters) that we can take to the bank. He came really close to completing the task, but there was a hornet in the mailbox. It looks like now our plan is to go to the hardware store, buy bug spray, kill the hornet, get the mail, take the checks that are in the mail to the bank, get a sucker, take the wrapper to Ellison's house, enter the code into her computer and receive a backpack in the mail. Really, it's a foolproof plan. In Freestone-atopia.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I want to at least visit Freestone-topia. Sounds like a fun place doesn't it?

Jennie said...

Oh my gosh! I love it! It is totally true. I should have known this before, after all, I do have four kids of my own. But seriously, your explanation totally gave me some clarity as to why my kids CAN NOT get some things done. Thanks for letting me step a pinky toe in to their world and thanks for letting them play. I can now check VT off the list. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the plan! Maybe adults are limited by realities. The dum dum wrapper could be the answer!

love.boxes said...

I like Freestone-atopia better than real life.. it's more fun!