Friday, April 10, 2009

Birthday Time


This is what the inside of my refrigerator looked like at 4:00 this morning. I heard a crash and jumped out of bed like a firefighter. I couldn't find the source of the crash anywhere. When I went to the fridge for a drink, I opened it to find refrigerator bisquits draped over everything, and a shelf was broken. Salvador Dali would have loved it, except that bisquit dough isn't as symbolic as clocks. Or is it?...

I think the can of biscuits exploded and broke the shelf. Unless the shelf spontaneously broke in the middle of the night and made the biscuits explode. It's a good existential problem to be pondered in the early morning hours. Which came first, the biscuits or the shelf? It was a doughy representation of Chinese fireworks, maybe, to commemorate Xanthe's birthday. Besides the fireworks, Xanthe went to a special lunch with Daddy and did a lot of everyday things with the word "birthday" in front of them. Birthday bubble bath. Birthday pancakes. Birthday coloring. Birthday playdates with Eli and Izzy. She wore her beautiful new dress that Emmy gave her. She visited Coco and received a giant package of paper cups for her birthday, as well as an alphabet puzzle. Nobody can have a drink without Xanthe's permission now, so I think the birthday paper cups were a big hit. Xanthe had so much birthday fun, she fell asleep at 6:00. Happy birthday, little one!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I hate those refridgerator biscuits. They have always scared me when I open them and I now I know my fear was justified!

Jennifer said...

I love it! Only you could liken a fridge mess to a masterpiece.