Sunday, April 26, 2009

Clean Sweep


I finally broke down. I hired a cleaning lady. I thought if she could just come once and pick up all the stuff off the floor and make everything look shiny, I'd be set for life. Now I'm addicted. The cleaning lady came with an assistant and tons of cleaning supplies of her own and went to work scrubbing things that I hadn't even realized were dirty. While the ladies were purifying and polishing, I was able to finish the laundry and organize the laundry room. Did you hear that? FINISH the laundry.

When Scott came home, he was dazzled by my efforts. The whole house was clean at once! Usually you have to really focus on the clean parts and divert your attention away from the clutter in other areas. After the cleaning ladies came, you could look anywhere and see crumb-free zones and clean, empty surfaces.

Now I'm thinking of ways to get more money to pay for more cleaning. My one-time deal is already an idea of the past. The ladies are coming back next month. I don't care what I have to do; it's the best money I've ever spent and I can't go back to partially clean. Maintaining a house sometimes reminds me of the guy from Greek mythology who spent eternity rolling a heavy stone up a hill, only to have it roll down again every time he neared the top. (Sysiphus?) That guy must have done something really offensive to get that punishment. I relate to him every time I hear milk spilling in the kitchen while I'm cleaning toothpaste off the bathroom sink. Sure, the kids help me clean, in the same way monkeys can be trained to do math. Lots of work for the trainer.

Now that I have two awesome women to help me push that stone up the hill, my muscles are quickly atrophying. I can't do it alone! Maybe I've become weaker, but I sure feel stronger and more empowered by my gleaming surroundings. And I'm happier. Just ask the monkeys.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

And lets just talk about how great those women will seem when you have that cute little man come summertime! Did you use Sarah's?

Michelle said...

Oh, and I noticed the clean and shiny room was void of children. There is a connection there somewhere.

Jennifer said...

I think of that Sisyphus guy every. single. day.

Looks great! I'm with Michelle -- there's gotta be a connection.

As for your fund-raising efforts, I have an idea. Do your kids get an allowance? Can funds be diverted?

Anonymous said...

Go Circe! I love a clean house but see your point about rolling the stone uphill. Even with a husband and one child it seems to never be done. And Em likes to help so everything takes longer. Sounds like money well-spent. Your house looked clean and shiny:)

SSWS said...

welcome circe.....you've come to the dark side. Just don't let anyone in your ward over 80 know....the shame!...and by the way, your kids will never turn out. But isn't it great to have your house clean at once! Even if it is for only 15 seconds.

SSWS said...

ps.....are you starting to Nest??

Lisa and Tate said...

Love it when someone ELSE cleans. It is so worth the money.

The other day I "hired" a college student friend known from the dog park. She was hard up for some money, I needed the house cleaned. She required task to task instructions, I unfortunatley thought someone else was cleaning, so off to lunch with a friend.

Erin said...

I am laughing so hard at sws' comments. I actually had a lady in our ward wag her finger at me, and give me a good scolding for having a cleaning lady. She seriously told me that my kids would never learn how to clean. I just thought "Who cares? They have so many other good qualities. Like manners."

Jennie said...

Oh man! Am I jealous! Please enjoy your lemon clean scented house for the both of us. :) I don't know if I'll ever smell that smell all at once ever again. You are SO right. It is a never ending job!

love.boxes said...

Sign me up. :)

Amanda said...

You're living my dream! I actually don't mind cleaning. I just HATE cleaning with kids underfoot. It's a never-ending battle. Plus I work, work, work but with all the interruptions, very little actually gets done! AAHHHH! Just thinking about it makes me very tempted . . .

laurel said...

I hire someone twice a month. I love it. I got started(or formed the addiction) while on bedrest for a pregnancy 5 years ago. I will never go back to doing it without some sort of help. Way to go and welcome to the club!!!