Monday, April 20, 2009

Nana's Little Family


Twenty-five years ago, all of my cousins on my mom's side could fit snuggly in Opa and Nana's living room, which we did almost every Sunday. We went around the room and gave updates on our lives. Someone was always returning from someplace interesting or planning a trip or graduating, going on a mission, having new experiences.

Just as things have changed, they have stayed the same. Last night the DeBrys gathered in Nana's living room to talk about Paul and Rita's mission in Nauvoo, Jim and Da's kids' sports, Mark and Marla's cross-country trip and new grandchildren and all of my cousins' adventures in raising families. Paul and Rita were here visiting from Nauvoo and it was a rare treat to see them and feel the unity that the past few months of blogging and letter-writing have engendered. Years ago, we all kept in touch through a newsletter Nana compiled and mailed out each month. As a college student, I savored every word of that newsletter. Now phone calls and emails are free and the blogs keep us more connected than we ever were. I'm really grateful for that.

I am blessed to be surrounded by the great examples of my aunts and uncles, who have taught me about integrity, faith, love, harmony and making really good salads. All of my aunts are so extremely capable, raising families with a surplus of enthusiasm for the tasks at hand. My cousin, Laura, told me that the way her mother raised seven kids so successfully is that all the kids felt like they came first. Everything else could always wait if a child needed something. I think about that almost every day as I try to follow that example. At Nana's house, children are treated kindly and respectfully. If they have a question, there is always a comfy lap to climb into and a soft voice to explain things to them. There are always adults bragging about them and telling them to help themselves to more lemon dessert. That's Opa and Nana's legacy, the soft voices and the kindness.

While my cup was being filled and by heart was swelling from the family togetherness, Araceli's face was swelling from the plants the kids were picking in the backyard. Ari had 20 paper cups filled with ground cover that she apparently was allergic to. (Of course none of the kids were scolded for picking most of Nana's plants and wasting all the paper cups!) All the way home, Ari cried about her face hurting. This morning, she was puffy and crimson, with blisters all over her face. Imagining my snaggle-toothed, hive-covered little girl swelling beyond recognition, I took her to the doctor. He prescribed an antihistimine, Scott prescribed a day off from first grade, and she's as good as new. Just puffier.

I don't mind having Ari home from school. She can help me work on my newly-inspired project of being a better mom and a better person...like the people around me! Thanks for all the great examples!

6 comments:

David said...

What great memories, Circe! Thanks for sharing. I miss those times at Nanna's. I can't wait for the great parties in the Millennium when Opa gives us ice cream out of the trunk of his car, or pushes down on our head.
Love,
TN DeBry's

Michelle said...

Yikes poor little puffy face! I think I heard cookies were good for that! You make me crave a family get together!

Anonymous said...

So true. Families are the most important thing and bring meaning to our lives. Sorry about Ari. Hope she is through with puffy now:)

SSWS said...

oh no! Poor Ari! What did she get into? Hope she is feeling better!

The homestead said...

That lemon dessert sure was good. Thanks for the picture. It has found a new home in the girls bedroom.

Jennie said...

Oh ouch! I hope she is feeling better. I also hear ice cream on a day off from school is a great cure as well. Here is to ice cream and cortizone cream!