Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring Break Rocks!!





We really needed a break from the routine. Even if the weather says winter, the calendar says Spring Break. Yippee!! I'm feeling pretty good about sleeping in, slacking on practicing and overseeing huge craft projects. Today's project was melted crayons on rocks, which I got from the Queen of Kids' Crafts herself, Michelle. She even came by in person to supervise. (Thanks!) Through the trial and error of 14 kids, we concluded that medium-sized, smooth rocks are the best. They retain the heat longer than small rocks and the melted crayon looks smoother. This craft is cheap, not messy and lots of fun. It rocks! :) (See Michelle's blog for instructions.)

Scott came home for lunch to find a grundle of kids eating chips in the middle of the floor. He grabbed Freestone, spruced him up and made a beeline for Rooster's, where Free got his very own ice cream sundae. Oh, and lunch, too. Every kid gets a lunch with Dad during Spring Break, and it was Freestone's turn today because he was closest to the front door. Scott knows better than to stick around when kids and crafts are mixing.

Later in the day, not a single kid was left. Golda was shopping with Coco and all the others had fled in other moms' cars. I seized that opportunity to vacuum the whole house, even under the couches. When I finished, I discovered that there was NOTHING in the vacuum filter. And the air was a little hazy. Thinking back, I remembered letting the kids assemble the new vacuum I bought this morning. My first clue that they didn't read the instructions (besides the fact that they're five) was that the vacuum came apart when I turned it on. Missing screws. I found some ill-fitting replacement screws, a ribbon and an elastic headband to hold the thing together and whisked it around the house. Turns out, a hose wasn't attached and I blew everything that was in the carpet into the air. That should help our spring allergies. After the dust settled, I vacuumed again. There are more glamorous ways to spend Spring Break, yes, but I'm happy right here with my rocks and dust and some pretty fun kids.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

What a fun craft. We may just have to try that. Too bad about your vacuum. That "sucks". :)

Anonymous said...

You always do fun things with your kids! Your vacuum saga is really funny;)

Michelle said...

You are so fun! Thanks for letting us come, the Dopp house is always a blast! And Jennie is really funny... I am sorry about your suckless vacuum too!

Jennifer said...

Fun! So maybe I wasn't so far off when I did this very thing thing to my geologist father's fish fossil? (You must let me know if there's a way to undo this craft.) :)

The homestead said...

Sorry about the weather. Hope you and the kids have a great spring break.

Christian said...

Did we have spring break when we were kids? I seriously don't remember it...