Friday, February 12, 2010

'50's Day: Give Me Some Lip








There are so many reasons I am thankful I'm not doing what I'm doing in the 1950's, and so many reasons I'm thankful the fifth graders revisit that time in our nation's history to learn where we have come from. They do a big unit on Civil Rights, culminating in a day where the kids are segregated by eye color and those with one eye color are not allowed the same privileges as those with another eye color. The kids learn about key figures of the decade, music, events, politics, etc. It all leads up to "50's Day, a celebration where poodle skirts, hair pomade and afros are de riguer. Golda and Ruby were up at the crack of dawn perfecting Ruby's look. Ruby and Taylor prepared a lip synch to "Nicest Kid in Town" from Hairspray. It was great! The kids had a dance, too. I bet Ruby was the nicest kid in town, and the cutest, too, with her pigtails and Bumpit! Fun, fun, fun!!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

When I got to the school to help with Collin's party, I noticed it was 50's day. I popped my head in and just happened to see Ruby on stage. She did such a great job! I'm glad you had fun Ruby! You are such a cute little teeny bopper.

Anonymous said...

Glad we have moved a little beyond the 50's school segregation. Ruby, you look so cute.

Shane and Kenzie said...

Wow what a cutie!

laurel said...

Great hair! I think they look great. I can't find your email from last year's party. I am afraid I don't know how to get to your house or have an address. Could you email it to me please?

laurel@networkprovidersinc.com

Taylor Family said...

I loved 50's day. I bet she had so much fun.