Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Downward Facing Scott


Scott finally decided to try out yoga with me. He looked hot in his workout clothes...as long as he was in an upright position with both feet on the ground. Once we started stretching, Scott quickly discovered he's about as flexible as a popsicle stick. The class began with the (substitute) teacher reading from a yoga book about the chakras. When she started talking about the serpent coiled at the base of your spine, I heard Scott snorting, trying to contain his laughter. I spent the rest of the class mentally trying to convince the teacher that he wasn't laughing at her, which was hard because, well, it wasn't true. If Scott was laughing at the teacher, it was only fair, because my abs got the best workout of their lives laughing at Scott. The funniest moment was when we had gotten ourselves into a twisty pretzel pose. The teacher was talking about relaxation and I looked over at Scott. He had his forehead resting on a block, his knees up by his ears, his hand protectively cupping his groin, and a decidedly non-yoga-like grimace on his face. Everything about his demeanor said, "Nothing about this experience is relaxing!" I think the only time he truly stretched was in "Warrior One" when he noticed he could almost reach my chest. It was instinct. For a minute, he put in a little extra effort.

Every single stretch seemed designed to re-injure Scott's achilles. I kept glancing at him to make sure he didn't look like something had snapped. Ironically, I think I pulled a muscle trying to impress Scott with my fledgling yoga skills. Throughout the class, I wished I had a hidden camera to capture Scott's discomfort. I had to settle for a shot of Scott's downward facing dog as he left for work this morning. Golda insisted on my demo for comparison purposes. All in all, I have to hand it to Scott. He performed far better in a yoga class than I would on the basketball court! I love this guy's chakras!

6 comments:

The homestead said...

Scott is such a good sport.

Jennie said...

So funny. Ryan's first time at Yoga with me sounds about the same as your experience. Our guys are good sports aren't they?

I was reading this post and Izzy is sitting behind me "doing my hair". She looked at the picture and said, "What are you and Dad doing in that picture?" Not only are the boys good sports, but these days they look like twins. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Yoga is really demanding. I think I cracked a rib when I first tried it during a power yoga class. That is great that you and Scott do it.

sws said...

Wow! So great that Scott did Yoga! But I don't think I could take it seriously w/ Scott in the room. Are you going again? Is Scott doing a down-dog or a push-up? hehe Circe, you look awesome!

laurel said...

That is so funny! I couldn't ever do a class like that with my hubby....I would spend the whole time laughing at him and at myself. You guys are too cute.

Lisa and Tate said...

WOW... he really is quite a guy to try yoga! Way to go Scott!