Wednesday, February 17, 2010

INSPIRATION

You know those inspirational posters you see in offices? A formation of jets streaking across a blue sky, and the caption is "TEAMWORK." Or a pristine golf course, and the caption is "PERSEVERANCE." I have a couple for you: Imagine these images poster-sized, staring down at you from your dentist's ceiling or mounted in a chrome frame at your accountant's office.
DETERMINATION.
The thought behind this mess was, "I WILL find Freestone's backpack if I have to rip every last coat out of this closet!" I didn't find it. It was at school. This image is also going to be the poster for CHARITY. Not the good kind, but the kind where you take all the stuff that was in your mudroom closet to D.I., regardless of whether you'll need it later or not.


COURAGE.
This is Freestone's homework from last week. "I am afraid of nothing. I am not even afraid of the A-D-D Ghost. I am not afraid of monstrs. I am not afraid." That's courage for ya. Turns out, the little guy is afraid of something. He's afraid of his mom's wrath when she discovers he forgot to turn in his homework last Friday, the same day he left his backpack at school.
RESPONSIBILITY.
I'm sure Freestone wrote this note to his teacher because I told him I would sell his DS if he didn't, not because he's all gung-ho about accepting responsibility. I also told him not to come home at all if his homework was still in his backpack. It begs the question, Can you force responsibility onto somebody? I'll let you know.

SHARING.
When you are this adorable sharing the plaid look with your little brother, it's OK that you forget your backpack or your homework once in awhile.
PURE JOY.
Or, "Ha ha! You forgot to turn in your homework! Na na na na boo boo! I did all my homework for the whole year the very first day Mrs. Esplin sent the workbook home and I NEVER forget my backpack! Ha ha! Ha ha!"

Are we inspirational or what?

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I love it! My "mud" room would look the exact same.... if I had a mud room. Doesn't my hall closet count. Sometimes I just keep kicking stuff in and trying to get the door shut. Whatever works right? Cute pics of the kids!

Jacy said...

so funny! Bransen wrote the SAME THING on his homework. "I am not afraid of anything. Except one time there was a spider on my neck and that was creepy." How 'boy' to not be afraid of anything!

Anonymous said...

These poster picture make me laugh! The coat closet brings back lots of memories of growing up. I loved Free's story and apology note to his teacher. Xanthe's "Pure Joy" brings a smile just to see it. Good luck with the responsibility concern:)

Christina said...

If you figure out out how to get them to turn in the homework, please share it with me. I've been fighting my 7 year old over this for the last several weeks. I'm going to try out the "sorry" note thing though, that's a good idea!

laurel said...

Fabulous!!! LOve every bit of it. Thanks for the chocolate. I got it today. It hit the spot. You are so sweet to think of me.