Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tiramisu


What has more athleticism, fancy footwork, artistry and crowd-pleasing jumps than the Harlem Globetrotters? Ballet West's Swan Lake! And it had an evil sorcerer, unrequited love, a beautiful set and some of the best Romantic music ever written. The ballet was so good, none of the girls wanted to leave during the second intermission, and it was a long ballet. That right there is quite an endorsement! The only downside to the evening was that I had to leave my own little cygnet home for so long without food! Scott is great with him, and he survived, which is more that you can say for poor Odette and the prince.

Thanks to Jennie for making the arrangements and Marlene for helping with crowd control! Sometimes going to performances feels like eating your vegetables. It's good for you. It strengthens you. But you're kind of in it for the dessert afterwards. This time, the performance was pure ladyfingers and mascarpone, dusted with cocoa! When the curtain went up on the third act, fog rolled out and billowed up. Suddenly, a swan rose up out of the mist, and then another and another until the whole ballet corps was sweeping across the stage. The collective gasp from the audience of young dancers as the swans began to appear was sublime. Girls, this is what all those dance classes are about.

8 comments:

sws said...

I'm looking forward to this even more, now. Maybe I should take E....can't wait!

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry I missed it. The things I do to help Ry with his career.... things like, MISSING SWAN LAKE! :) I'm glad you had fun. Thanks for driving.

Michelle said...

Thank you sooooo much for letting Brittany have this amazing experience. She has been talking it about it non-stop ever since she got home. I think she may have even kept it up in her sleep!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking me Circe! It was soooooooooo much fun!

Brittany

Anonymous said...

Beautiful summary of a beautiful ballet. What a great thing to do with your girls. Do you want me to bring paper plates and cups on Monday?

Alicia said...

I have always wanted to go. That sounds like a great evening.

laurel said...

Email me your address. And directions.

laurel@networkprovidersinc.com

Jennifer said...

This is absolutely beautiful. The arts as vegetables? I loved the analogy. It's too bad our society tends to overlook both. I hope Swan Lake will be quickly rotated into future seasons so I can plan ahead.