Thursday, February 25, 2010

More Tropicana Cabana


What sounds more exciting, a violin shop or a Tropicana Cabana?
Exactly.
Which is why I painted the violin shop playroom the same color as Golda's room, Tropicana Cabana. Before, it was cream-colored, which is fine for "cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels," but boring for a playroom. The happy new color looks better against the deep purple of the shop area, too. I also painted the brick wall behind the couch. I wanted it to be the bright mustard yellow I've seen everywhere lately, but I had this "Arizona" that was close enough, so I used it. The kid in the picture doesn't do anything for the shot, but he was a teenager who didn't see any reason to move just because I was trying to take pictures.

Now the four teachers who teach at the shop, their students and parents, and my customers and I will have a cheerier place to play music. I'll be spending more time there, too. I've taken time off from teaching violin since Ptolemy was born, but I miss it. With Freestone and Lexie starting lessons, it's time to build up a studio full of exciting, colorful kids again. The playroom and I are ready to inspire!

7 comments:

Jennie said...

I love the new look! So cute.

I also meant to tell you how much I loved the Xantheville post. I was laughing! I agree with your other reader that I would totally buy your book.

Yesterday I was too busy wiping snot noses and trying to fill and refill prescriptions to comment in blogland. I think I have a love hate relationship with Walgreens.

Anywho... it was great!

How is the novel coming anyway? I know you have SO much free time and all. :)

Lexie said...

Cute colors circe!

Jennifer said...

Ooh, ooh -- the colors drew me in, even before reading that you're building up the studio again. I MUST talk to you about that sometime despite my being neither exciting, colorful nor, for that matter, a kid. Just today -- oh the timing! -- I heard Barber's Elegy for Strings on the radio, reminding me of a forgotten dream to learn violin. Would you ever take on an adult?

And ha ha ha about the kid in the shot.

Anonymous said...

It does look like a friendly and bright place.. maybe sans teenager:) Everything you do is amazing.

sws said...

I can't believe this is the first time I've seen your violin shop....love the cheerful colors...nothing like my piano lessons!

The Brown Family said...

Fun color. And a great name too. I want to be called Tropicana Cabana. It sounds like the beach is nearby :)

I love the violins hanging. It's a solution I may resort to soon. We have cases and violins all over our front room (not a complaint, just a storage problem).

Kim

Jenny said...

I remember painting your shop orange with you one day, long ago. I think that color lasted about a week. I love how you are not afraid of a little (or a lot) color change! I like the blue. It is bright and cheery.