Saturday, February 13, 2010

Five for Five



I drove Scott's car yesterday and was reminded of all the things that make him great. Scott's car is a stylin' 1995 Cadillac de Ville and it cost us less than a trip to Costco on an empty stomach. It is in good shape and Scott keeps it clean. The elderly gentleman who owned it previously would be proud. In fact, the only clutter I saw as I got in was a neat stack of coupons under the armrest in the front seat. Scott's friends used to tease him about his frugality, but I admire it. I remember some of the extremes he went to in college to save money. Working two jobs and going to school, he was sometimes too tired to make the half-hour drive home to his parents' house. On those nights, he gave his apartment-dwelling friends a box of cereal in exchange for a night's sleep on their couch near the university.

I once saw a couple of roast beef sandwiches in the trunk of Scott's car and questioned him about it. He explained that he would buy five for five bucks, eat two for lunch and save three for dinner. When we have leftovers, I sometimes ask Scott if he wants to put some of the food in his trunk. I joke, but it stings when I think of Scott eating those cold sandwiches in his car on his way from school to a job where he would work through the night, going to class the next morning on no sleep.

What speaks to his character just as much is his generosity. It was during that same time period that Scott brought doughnuts to me at school. Not just for me, but for everybody at the violin making school. Everybody. He is generous.

Now that Scott is my leading man, his work ethic, his willingness to sacrifice and his generosity are vital to our family's well-being. Just like he gave up expensive meals in college, he puts his wants aside for his kids. We have a cat whom Scott calls "The cat with the high-definition back legs" because the money Scott had saved up for high-def TV went to save the cat's mangled legs - and his life - when he was hit by a car. I don't even know how many times Scott used his "speaker money" to fund family vacations, new musical instruments and back-to-school wardrobes before he finally saved enough to put in his theater.

You could say that three roast beef sandwiches in the trunk of a used Ford Tempo made me fall in love with Scott. Maybe they would have...if I hadn't already been in love with him. Happy Valentine's Day, Scott. Should I buy you some candy hearts to keep in your trunk?

6 comments:

Jennie said...

What a great Valentine's post to your sweetie. However I had to laugh when I read 5 for 5. Had I known about that I wouldn't have let Scott give me and Ryan so much grief for the one year we went to Hardees on Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Just over 20 years ago my life was altered forever when I realized I loved you. My boss sent me home from work that day because she couldn't have a waiter crying while trying to serve tables. That was the first day I told you I loved you, while I was sitting in my house on Manchester and you were in Rome. Some feelings come and go but love is totally different. It just grows into something you could never explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. I never stopped loving you, yet I love you even more now. Thanks for choosing me to be your valentine. And thanks for creating six more special little valentines in our lives. I love you! Happy Valentine's Day!
Scott

Alicia said...

That's a really good post. My husband also had some really frugal days in college. I admire it too. I know how you feel when you said it pains you to think of Scott eating those cold sandwiches and then heading to work all night. Good post!

Anonymous said...

This post is very heart warming. And frugality is great..good for Scott:) I have heard from several moms who are excited to come tomorrow!

Michelle said...

You and Scott are such a great couple. I love nothing better than a happy ending/beginning. I think you have to print out that comment from Scott and stick it in your wallet in case of grumpy days. Guess there two Dopps with way with words. HOpe you guys had a great day!

Jennifer said...

You're a lucky girl.