Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Driving Me Crazy




What do all these items have in common:

A box full of books
A broken cello bow
A hat full of crayons
A pair of pants
A plastic turtle
A violin shop receipt book
Two backpacks
Three lipsticks
A boot
A spoon
A bottle of Windex

Answer: They are all camped out on the front seat of my car, ready and waiting to embarrass me when someone borrows my car to make a pre-school run! I wish my car were a spotless masterpiece of cleanliness, but I haven't arrived at that level of nirvana yet. I'm still working on getting my house to the point where I can look around and take a deep breath instead of cringing. My kitchen table is beautiful today with a new carpet runner I bought yesterday. I got the idea from my mom for a runner that simulates spring grass. (Or astro turf...it will be fun for the family Superbowl party!)

Keeping a clean house is like holding up a tent without poles. With only two arms and two legs, if you get one side propped up, another side is going to fall down. It's true for tents and it's true for houses where kids live. At my house, if something is in order, you can bet that something else is about to fall apart. So, turning a blind eye to the front seat of my car, I'm sitting at the computer where I can see the clean table that exemplifies my ideal. The car is a job for tomorrow's to-do list!

7 comments:

Jennie said...

No worries - seriously! You should have seen me 15 minutes before Michelle arrived for lunch. I was literally running trying to finish getting dressed, throw my dirty dishes in the dishwasher, finish my hair (never happened - thus the hat), and sweep up the sand by my front door where the kids leave their boots. A mom's job is NEVER done - of that I KNOW! Plus, I loved the books and stuff in the car. I was half tempted to borrow some but didn't have time to look through them in my haste to return to the fun. Thanks for letting me use your car! If I were more on the ball I would have remembered to pull my car out before everyone arrived. :)

Jenny said...

Cleaning up while you have kids around is like shoveling when it is still snowing!!!! Just enjoy what you do have done and get to the rest when you get a chance. All of us mom's feel your pain, because we all have our "front seats" too, wherever they may be!!

sws said...

I love your table setting! What a great idea...turf! (I'm barely aware of the superbowl..heehee) Thanks for inspiring me to vacuum my car. s

Anonymous said...

Loved your table runner and setting. It does make you think that Spring will really come someday. You van description was really detailed and funny but kids who are content and well adjusted like yours are worth so much more than a clean car.

Marilyn said...

Resist every urge to clean your car. Just when you do, you realize that that extra pair of underwear that has been in the car for a year is just what you need the next day--or the sock, shoes, half-eaten box of cereal, comb, etc! We joke that our van contains our 72-hour kit--the food of course, is in "de-hydrated crumb form"!

laurel said...

My car looks messy too....in fact yours looks spotless compared to mine. Love the table setting!

We are planning on the CNY

Michelle said...

Love the grass! My car makes William nuts!