Monday, August 22, 2011

Another First







 Is this the cutest first grader you've ever seen?
 Tolly wanted to "go a school too!"  He even had a backpack!
 First grade!  All day!  Two teachers, two languages, three recesses and lunch at school.  Xanthe can't wait.
 Third grade in Monsier Keck's class is going to be awesome!

 Fourth grade is a year of excitement and adventure.  Ari gets to go on journeys!
Nothing to do but look at the fish.  All the kids are in their clasrooms.

Scott and I got home from our trip last night just in time to give the kids their father's blessings for school, lay out new outfits and get a few hours of sleep before - I can't believe it! - the new school year started!  At the crack of dawn, Freestone, Xanthe and I left for piano/violin lessons as Golda and a nervous Ruby got ready to tackle the jr. high.  So far, I love getting a few lessons out of the way before school starts, but we'll see how I feel when it's dark and cold at 6:45 in the morning.  On the way home, Xanthe was afraid she would miss school and was trying to convince me to drive her.  As I assured her, however, there was plenty of time to get home, have some quiche and walk to school, which is just what we did. 

The atmosphere it the school was charged with excitement and controlled chaos.  Xanthe was the first to find her classroom and get settled.  Her teachers already knew her from having had Freestone two years ago.  I don't know if that's good or bad;  one seemed to have it in for him, while the other one was great with him, so hopefully Xanthe can establish herself independently of Freestone's legacy.

Freestone was next, going in with the same teachers Ari had last year.  Ari loved them both, so we expect great things!  Freestone gave Tolly a big hug and we left him at his desk.  Lastly, Araceli confidently walked into class with the teacher she had fervently hoped to get.  Class was already in session, and I apologized to Mr. Reeve, saying, "Ari was the last kid to get dropped off, and we have what, eleven or twelve kids in this school."  It feels like a lot, anyway, especially when Ptolemy is the only kid left!  One really IS the lonliest number, poor guy!  He and I did a whirlwind unpacking/laundry/kitchen/cleanup/answer emails/return phone calls/organize our week extravaganza this morning, then got all our errands done before lunch and naps.  The kids get home in an hour (Early out!) and then it's off and running.  One good thing about early out is that we may just have time to get everything done and sneak to the pool.  I can't quite let go of summer completely.  Not until I absolutely have to!

5 comments:

Maria said...

Circe- Xanthe seems to be doing AWESOME! I love Tolly's pack.

The homestead said...

I wan to hear more about your trip. Your kids are so cute! What fun.

Jennie said...

Cute outfits! I can't believe you've already got it blogged. I'm back in June and about to blog about the baptism. I just can't seem to find my blog groove. :) Hopefully they all had a great day. We're planning on a YOGO trip this afternoon to celebrate. :)

Taylor Family said...

I hope you had a fun trip. I am glad you guys could get away. Xanthe looks so adorable!!!!

love.boxes said...

What a day! This school year feels like it's going to be big.. :)