Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Piano








What's the saying?  "There are too many people willing to carry the bench when there's a piano to be moved."  Well, yeah!  Of course nobody wants to move a piano, and now I completely understand why.  I have been so excited for this move.  My brother's piano, which has been living at my parents' house, moved to our house so Xanthe could practice on it.  Lucky us!!  My students are having a recital here on the 12th, and it's going to be so nice to have a piano!  (I keep meaning to ask Jennifer to play for the recital.  Jennifer?)

Let me give you some advice, in case you were planning on ever getting a bunch of guys and moving a grand piano yourself.  Don't.  You should have seen these three guys finessing this legless piano through the backyard.  And then putting the legs on!  It was a feat of engineering and physics.  When I told the guys how impressed I was, one joked, "We watched a YouTube video this morning."  Ha ha.

As soon as the piano was positioned, we had a mini recital by Joshie, Henry and Xanthe.  Everyone wanted to play, but the rule is that you have to be taking lessons to touch the piano.  No chopsticks, PLEASE!  Now everyone wants to take piano.  As much as I would love to have that beautiful instrument sounding at all times of the day and night with practicing, I just don't have it in me to add piano lessons to the mix for 4 more kids.  It's all up to Xanthe for now.  And Scott, who can play the first four measures of several songs. 

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yes to the recital. Three cheers for your movers! There's an 8-foot long scratch on my wood floor from moving in our small piano, and that was before I decided I wanted it against a different wall.

I think you should challenge Scott to play 5 measures. Come on.

Catherine said...

Ooh...your piano is purdy!

Three cheers for the brave guys who moved it in! Moving pianos is a tough gig!

Yay Xanthe for taking lessons and practicing! Having a teacher for a mom is such a bonus...at least that's what I'll try to convince Hannah of in a couple of years when she begins taking lessons!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you blogged about 3 strangers moving a tiny little piano before blowing about me installing a new dish washer!
Scott

Anonymous said...

I can't believe spell check on my phone changed blogging to blowing. I should be careful with that!
Scott

Michelle said...

So impressed and excited for you! But not even as impressed as I am with your plumber husband!

sws said...

i'm just laughing at Scott's comments! you gotta love spellcheck!