Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Price of Beauty

We scored big time at Pat's Dancewear's summer sale.  A pair of pointe shoes, two pairs of ballet shoes, one pair of awesome shoes for me to teach in, four leotards and even a hair ribbon.  It took two trips to procure all the loot, but we were such good customers, we walked away with three free shirts and free posters for everyone!  I think we're all set for now, as long as nobody grows.  Last time Ruby got new ballet shoes, I complained all the way to the store, "I just bought you ballet shoes.  You can't grow that fast."  When we looked on the store's computer, it had been a year and a half since Ruby had new shoes.  I guess she doesn't grow as fast as I thought, which is good. It's still too fast, all the same.

I have to admit, I feel fortunate that I get to buy the beautiful duds we do, as opposed to soccer cleats and lame, oversized jerseys.  I'm totally biased, I know, but we all gravitate toward what we love.  I should have realized that I wasn't cut out to be a soccer mom back in 2002 when I asked Golda's coach at the first practice when the kids would be receiving their "costumes."

Xanthe, for better of for worse, will never play soccer unless she begs.  I think she'll be OK with that.  I've had to ban her from asking me how many days there are before her ballet class.  Now she has a new tactic.  She says, "Mom?  I love you!  When is my ballet?" Like if she sneaks the question in there really quietly, it won't be as annoying.  She's right;  It's pretty cute.

Just three more days until ballet, Xanthe, but don't worry.  Before you know it, you'll be going almost every day, just like the big girls.  By that time, the big girls will be getting ready to tell their daughters, "Just three more days until ballet!"  All this beauty might be expensive, but it's priceless.  To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.  That is why my girls dance.  So that they can always have something beautiful to carry with them, and to carry them.

3 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

After Shane and I saw Scott and Ruby at Old Navy a couple weeks ago, Shane commented about how ballet seems to do so much "good" for teenage girls. He went on to say that Ruby stood so tall, had perfect posture, and most importantly, she contained the most classy, beautiful confidence. I believe it too... Ballet (especially at Clytie's) just does something special for all of us!
My mom just recently said, "Kenz, all that money we put toward your dance training has already completely paid itself off!" It seems like you are already feeling the way :)

Michelle said...

What wat it Tif's Dad said? They sent her to Clytie to learn how to walk. I so miss it!

love.boxes said...

Yes! Love it!