Monday, August 22, 2011

How Was the First Day of School, You Ask?

Horrible, according to Freestone.  And I think he meant it.  After school he went in his room, curled up in a blanket and wailed like he just couldn't take it anymore.  He said the gift we brought him from D.C., a kit where you excavate polished rocks out of sand, had the tiniest polished rocks in the world in it.  The tiniest!  It was the worst gift ever.  Even the pool was torture for Freestone.  He almost drowned Henry, for one thing.  Xanthe threw a fit in the parking lot and intentionally dumped out my cup of ice water because Freestone had the best towel.  In the car, there was an existential crisis, a slugfest over seat belts, a shouting match in the back seat and a carseat that wasn't buckled in and went flying when I slammed on the brakes and pulled over to throttle someone.  I actually told the kids that I was going to make them be nice through fear and intimidation.  Freestone was right, it was the worst day ever.  We are going to need much more practice at this school thing.  It's exhausting.  Jennie and her crew must have known we were going to need the big box of donuts that was waiting for us when we got home.  Thank you so much!  Let's try this again tomorrow.

3 comments:

The homestead said...

Sounds a lot like our day minus the pool.

Michelle said...

Oh man! I bet those doughnuts saved somebody's life!

sws said...

I agree - I kind of hated today. I like the 2nd day a lot better.