Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Odd Man Out

We have a lonely little boy on our hands.  The first day of school was perplexing for Ptolemy.  He kept patiently going through the list of kids with me as if to say, Surely there's been a misunderstanding. "Where Goga?  Where Uby?  Where Ari?  Where Teetone?  Where Zamfee?"  He didn't like it that his people were missing.  So the second day, Tolly hatched a plan, I swear.  He found a big, pink sun hat and put it on.  It was big enough that he looked like a little pair of legs under the giant hat.  When the kids were ready to go, he inched toward the door, shuffling with his head down.  I'm convinced that he had his fingers crossed nobody would see him.  The little guy was mumbling to himself, "I go a school too.  I go a school too."  He looked like an odd little commuter pushing his way onto the subway with the crowd.

Unfortunately, we did somehow spot him.  When his plan didn't work, he went to plan B.  He got in the car in his hat, climbed in his carseat and was trying to hook his seatbelt, saying, "I go somewhere too!  I go somewhere!"  This little guy does not want to be left behind.  It's lucky for him that there are plenty of places to go.  He spent the morning at the violin shop, got candy from Daddy, drove through the bank for his sucker and managed to fit in a nice nap before his people got home from school to entertain him.  I would show you a picture, but I don't know where the camera is.  Everybody wanted to take pictures of Ptolemy when they got home.  I guess they missed him as much as he missed them.  As for me, I'm so glad he's here.  I couldn't stand it if everybody left!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, Poor Tolly! I think I am going to feel the same way come Monday when my little buddy leaves!

Amber said...

sweet boy-- that's so cute!

love.boxes said...

I know how that feels.. it's a little sad. :( Tolly's turn will come all too soon.