Wednesday, August 31, 2011

PB & J Factory

Is there an easier way to do school lunch for 5 kids a day?  Obviously, paying $7.20 a day for all of them to have school lunch doesn't make economic sense.  But peanut butter and jelly is so sticky!  The sticky, crumby pile of knives every morning is the bane of my existence.  I set out to solve that problem the same way one solves every problem:  Google.  I typed in "Can I freeze a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" and got some tidy little responses.  (You can, if you spread a thin layer of peanut butter on both slices of bread so the jam doesn't make it soggy.)  This afternoon in my clean, quiet kitchen, I mass produced sandwiches and put them in Ziploc bags in the freezer.  I only had one mess to clean up, versus one mess per sandwich when you have lots of mini cooks in the kitchen every morning.  That makes economic sense!  Of course, the sandwiches are so nifty, they'll probably all be gone by tomorrow.  I already dropped one of for Golda as an after school snack to eat along with a few of the many, many snack items I stocked up on at the dollar store, which are quickly disappearing too.  Kids would be so much easier to take care of if they didn't have to eat.

I have been trying to concoct ways to make feeding the masses easier.  Since school started, I've been making dinner in the morning.  It has been empirically proven in our household that I can't fix dinner at dinnertime and stay sane.  For one thing, you have to be in the kitchen to fix dinner.  The car outside a cello teacher's house is not an ideal place to come up with a wholesome meal, unless you have David's Pizza's phone number in your phone, which I do, but he can't be fixing our dinner every night.

So, it has been an incredible help to have dinner ready to warm up, in the fridge, before the kids get home from school.  I've made a few lasagnes and spaghetti pies, sliced and diced bowls of fruit and even let the kids make jello the night before.  The hardest part is coming up with an idea.  I have to keep reminding myself that it doesn't have to be the best idea in the world every day.  Just an idea.  Ruby told me that she doesn't approve of anything based on Cream of Mushroom soup, so that makes it tricky.  Pretty much everything Mormons eat is out.  (I'm kidding!!)  My biggest hit was poppy seed pancakes.  I made them in the AM, put them in a Ziploc in the fridge, then warmed them up at 5:00 and served them along with yogurt and whatever fruit I had cut up.  For some reason, the kids liked that better than the spinach lasagne where I got carried away with the roasted garlic.  Anyway, the family is eating dinner, usually around 5:15 in case you're in the neighborhood.  Bring your own fork.  Ours are usually all in the dishwasher.

7 comments:

The homestead said...

Dido on dinner having to be made in the am. Sometimes I make it while the kids are eating lunch. And dido on the cream of mushroom/chicken soup- but my kids love it.

Jennie said...

What a good idea. If I ever decide to rejoin the bloggin world, I'll have to fill you in on our new home lunch attempt. We are a week in a half into it and so far so good. Stay tuned... I have pictures. :) Of course, what good are the pics if I don't ever blog. :)

Nana's Playhouse said...

I have lots of recipe's for caseroles. Green bean casserole made with tamatoe soup. layer meat (I use hamburger) green beans (I use french cut) corn, carrots, and tomatoe soup I put cheese between the meat and veggies. Top with instant potatoes and more cheese cook at 350 till bubbly and brown. add a good salad or some cold fruit and wa la easy simple and good dinner. If you want more just email me at momfergus5@aol.com

laurel said...

WIth football every night from 5:30 to 8...we have been eating out a lot or having cereal. Tonight I actually did something. Grilled cheese and pastrami sandwiches.

Love that you are so real.

Michelle said...

Brilliant! I know I am doing a lot better with school started and the return of planned menus for the week.Somehow getting dinner on the table is easier when I know what it is!

love.boxes said...

Now I know that my whole problem is that I TOTALLY agree with Ruby. I need to copy you.. that's a great idea.

Catherine said...

No cream of mushroom soup? Count the Baptists out too! It's a staple in my cupboard.

I'm AWFUL at coming up with supper ideas and we don't have homework, lessons or practices yet. I'm in so much trouble!

Thankful you're able to pack PB&J and hopefully your little factory will work. Great idea! PB is banned in our schools due to allergies which makes making lunches a much bigger challenge!