Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Nutty!






We always have so much fun with Nutcracker auditions.  This year, as always, the girls all went to the craft store and chose ribbons for their hair.  The selection process was, I daresay, as intense as the actual auditions.  Green or red?  Fat or thin?  Bold or understated?  Pattern?  Wire edges?  Floral?  Two ribbons, perhaps?  The girls ended up getting ribbons for some of their friends who were trying out, too.  We made little good luck bags and dropped them off to the girls on Nutcracker Tryout Eve.

The day was fun.  Golda and Ruby tried out first and had the rest of the day to analyze their performances and speculate on whether they would get a part.  Later, they BOTH got called back to audition for Clara, which was a wonderful thrill.  Meanwhile, Ari and I were in the afternoon auditions, as well as Freestone, who tried out with the boys.  He was hilarious when we found out later that he didn't make it.  The story slowly came out as to maybe why, other than his total lack of experience.  "Maybe I shouldn't have put my leg on the barre...Maybe I walked on my toes too much."  It sounds like he was showing off.  Yikes!  The horror.  Also, I walked in during his audition and he ran over to me and said, "I want to go home with you!"  He lacks a certain professionalism.  Even if he can put his leg on the barre.  I'm still cringing.  At least he got a drink and a bag of Kaysville Theater popcorn while we waited for Golda and Ruby to come out of their callback.


In the end, Golda got the Clown part she has always wanted, Ruby gets to be an Arabian Soloist, one of her coveted roles, and Araceli is a Blue Soldier!  They are all so excited.  Now it's time to get started choosing fabric for our Nutcracker bags.  And rehearsals start Saturday.  I just added, with gratitude, four additional ballet classes a week to my calendar.  It's nutty!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Congratulations girls. It is going to be a great Nutty Season. With the parent meeting behind us tonight, we are officially off and running.

Lisa and Tate said...

COngrats on making Nutcracker to the girls... Laughed when I heard Free's stuff.

This year I will be taking Tate so I need to make sure to score tickets!

Michelle said...

You left out the call-back news at lunch! So cool! and Free cracks me up!

Catherine said...

What a great opportunity for all your kiddos! Heh...Freestone! :o)

Wish I lived closer. Hannah and I would be there for sure!